Monday, April 19, 2010

Books I Grew Up With

I saw this post on the Got YA! blog  and it got me reminiscing about books I grew up with.  I read a few that were listed in that post.   

beezus+ramona.png


I loved  the "Ramona" books by Beverly Cleary and am waiting to see the "Ramona and Beezus" movie this summer.  Yes, I will see another movie based on books, which I already read  years ago;-).   I also loved the" Fudge" books by Judy Blume.  I still see and glance at these books at bookstores and a second-hand stores.  Same with Blume's classic but controversial "Are You There God? It's me Margaret."   


Another series of books I loved was the "Sweet Dreams" romance books.   I would often buy them back in the 1980s, since borrowing them from the school library was nearly impossible!   They were always checked out,  seemingly by people who would have never read them if they had to buy them.  I only managed to ever check out one of two of them in seventh and eighth grade.  Last June, I came across a few of these books at a second-hand store that I never read the first time.  
image from ebay

There were other teen romance novels I read such as "First Love From Silhouette" books. I liked these as much as the "Sweet Dreams" ones and owned several of the "First Love" books as well.  I also recall reading a few other romance novels from series I don't remember the names of.    Some others are profiled in this blog post.  Some of these sound familiar to me, but some do not.  I pretty much gave up these books  by the time I was 16.  Reading some of them as a grownup, however, brought back some memories and made some new ones from reading the books I missed the first time. 

I unfortunately don't have any of these books now, but the memories live on.  

No comments: