Friday, April 22, 2016

Adjusting to Reading Glasses

Even before going to my eye exam yesterday, I'd begun to suspect I was having trouble seeing things up close, having to hold things away to try to read them.  I was told this happens when you hit your 40s.  I was also having trouble reading without a lot of light on or without holding it far from my eyes.

When I went to my exam, the doctor said it was my near vision.  Then I heard what I'd been dreading--I needed glasses.  Specifically, so that I can read and see object up close, and that I needed 1.25 reading glasses.  Either that or I could wear bifocals. He wrote a prescription; unfortunately, my insurance only covered the exam and not glasses.  But he said I could get some cheap reading glasses, so I did just that. I went to the Dollar Tree and found only two pairs of 1.25 reading glasses.  One had wire frames, which I absolutely hate (I've always gotten plastic-frame sunglasses). The only plastic-frame pair was zebra-print, which I like.  I didn't want to pay more, so I got this pair.

Incidentally, I'd told the doctor I wanted to think about wearing bifocals, but have been convinced that reading glasses were the better option.  As someone who never had to wear glasses before, I'm not sure how fast I would get used to wearing glasses all the time, but needed them for reading hasn't been hard so far and I don't think it will be.

1 comment:

Stephanie Faris said...

I wish I could just wear reading glasses. I wore contacts for years but apparently as you get older they don't work as they used to, so now it's 100-percent glasses, which sucks! I'm too chicken to get Lasik, though.