Monday, May 22, 2017

More, Now, When, Where--To Be Added

six word memoirs:

As I continue my memoir writing journey, I still get somewhat frustrated about the word count. If you've read my blog regularly, you probably already know about this.  I've been told that that the effort put into the work is what should count and I agree with that.  Nevertheless, I still wonder how so many people have written such works of 70K words or more.  In some such works, I see many overly descriptive narratives. I've tried this, but maybe it's not exactly my style. and in general, I fell like I have don't a have a lot to say compared to those I have read. I know I shouldn't compare like this, but I get fearful of being told mine isn't long enough. I have been told conflicting stories that traditional publishers require a certain number of words, and have heard conflicting posts on just how many words.  And that it doesn't matter how long if you plan to self-publish, but I'm a bit ambivalent on the idea of self-publishing.

But now I find myself remembering more things I feel a need to add. I'm just not sure what chapter to add these things to, or if to start a new one altogether. I see nothing wrong with the latter idea.  It's all just a matter of decisions.
 

1 comment:

Elephant's Child said...

Quality not quantity.
Look around at bookstores. Some books are weighty tomes, others are not.
Self publishing has its place, but I really, really wish that some who take that option were better editors.
Good luck with your ongoing journey.