Sunday, November 25, 2018

The Annual Moody Reader Reading Challenge 2019

Last year, I participated in this challenge for the subjects of Mental Illness, Dystopia, Banned Books and LGBTQ+ since no challenges were offered for these. (I discovered this one for Dystopia way too late in the year and will see if it is offered for next year.)  This made me decide to create a Mental Health Challenge for next year.

For now, I will be signing up for the genres of LGBTQ+, Feminism, and Banned Books. If the Dystopia one does not get offered and if the Retellings one I did this year does not appear for next year, I will be adding those as well.


I was surprised at how successful I was with my challenge and managed to read 27 of my original 57 books. That is way more back listed books than I have ever read in a year, though it may not sound like a lot, its 50%! I also concluded that there are quite a few back listed books that I am no longer interested in (which is the case with at least 10 of those 57 books.) Thus I’ve become quite brutal in my Keep or Skip efforts to clean out my TBR for this year’s Moody Reader Reading Challenge.

The Goals for the Challenge…

#1 – Target backlisted books I am excited to read soon.

#2 – Sort them into genres that I will focus on during the year.

#3 – Mix it up so there will be all sorts of books to fit every mood!

#4 – Change the list if I learn about a different book that I want to read soon.

What are your reading goals? You may want to read all the retellings you’ve never gotten to or have a list of second books in series that you want to MAKE sure to get to. You may be a fantasy lover who wants to try more contemporaries… whatever your genre or however many genres you make a list for you can have a moody list ready to go when you’re in the mood for a GREAT book!
_______________________________________________________________________________
My Genres for the Challenge:
LGBTQ+ Reading:
  1. Nine Perfect Strangers--Liane Moriarty
  2. The Gangster We Are All Looking For--Le Thi Diem Thuy
  3. A Raisin in the Sun--Lorraine Hansberry
  4. The Female Persuasion--Meg Wolitzer
  5. White Houses--Amy Bloom
  6. Stella By Starlight--Sharon M. Draper
  7. The Holy Forest--Robin Blaser
  8. Hard Love--Ellen Wittlinger
  9. You Know Where to Find Me--Rachel Cohn
  10. The Art of Losing--Lizzy Mason
  11. Save the Date--Mary Kay Andrews
  12. Blameless--Gail Carrier
  13. On a Sunbeam--Tillie Walden
  14. Unto Us a Son is Given--Donna Leon 
  15. Rebel--Beverly Jenkins
  16. Bloodrose--Andrea Cremer
  17. She Wanted It All--Kathryn Casey
  18. Sam & Ilsa's Last Hurrah--Rachel Cohn & David Leviathan
  19. The Poet X--Elizabeth Acevedo
  20. The Night Watch--Sarah Waters
  21. The Backstagers, Volume 1--James Tynion IV
  22. Bone Appetite--Carolyn Haines
  23. The Backstagers, Volume 2--James Tynion IV
  24. I Wish You All the Best--Mason Deaver
  25. Lies We Tell Ourselves--Robin Talley
  26. The Jane Austen Book Club--Karen Joy Fowler
  27. This Book is Gay--James Dawson
  28. These Are Not Sweet Girls--Marjorie Agosin (ed.)
  29. Still Me--Jojo Moyes
  30. Lady Midnight--Cassandra Clare 
  31. A Blade So Black--L.L. McKinney
  32. The Bone People--Keri Hulme
  33. My Horizontal Life--Chelsea Handler
  34. Lies My Girlfriend Told Me--Julie Anne Peters
  35. Interview With the Vampire--Anne Rice
  36. The Beauty That Remains--Ashley Woodfolk
  37. Me--Elton John
  38. Play It As It Lays--Joan Didion


Feminist Reading:
  1. Wasted--Marya Hornbacher
  2. Milk and Honey--Rupi Kaur
  3. Nine Perfect Strangers--Liane Moriarty
  4. A Raisin in the Sun--Lorraine Hansberry
  5. The Female Persuasion--Meg Wolitzer
  6. White Houses--Amy Bloom
  7. Stella By Starlight--Sharon M. Draper
  8. Speak--Laurie Halse Anderson
  9. Emma Lazarus: Selected Poems
  10. Hidden Figures--Margot Lee Chatterly
  11. Radical Sanity--Elizabeth Wurtzel 
  12. On a Sunbeam--Tillie Walden
  13. Do This  For Me--Eliza Kennedy
  14. The Joy Luck Club--Amy Tan
  15. Rebel--Beverly Jenkins
  16. Jo's Boys--Louisa May Alcott
  17. Roses and Radicals--Susan Zimet
  18. Sassafrass, Cypress & Indigo--Ntozake Shange
  19. The Night Watch--Sarah Waters
  20. Creatocracy--Elizabeth Wurtzel
  21. Lies We Tell Ourselves--Robin Talley
  22. Eat, Pray, Love--Elizabeth Gilbert
  23. This Book is Gay--James Dawson
  24. Americanized--Sara Saedi
  25. These Are Not Sweet Girls--Marjorie Agosin (ed.)
  26. A Blade So Black--L.L. McKinney
  27. The Bone People--Keri Hulme
  28. Ruth--Elizabeth Gaskell
  29. Night Flying Woman--Igantia Booker
  30. Becoming--Michelle Obama
  31. Unaccustomed Earth--Jhumpa Lahiri
  32. Play It As It Lays--Joan Didion
  33. Beauty Queen--Sarah Mylnowski
  34. Fruit of the Drunken Tree--Ingrid Rojas Contreras
  35. City of Girls--Elizabeth Gilbert
  36. The Spirit Catches You And You Fall Down--Anne Fadiman

Banned Books:

3 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Have fun.
I don't have any reading goals other than to keep at it.

Sandra Cox said...

Have fun.
I hope your Thanksgiving was blessed.

Dani @ Perspective of a Writer said...

Awww I hope you are successful Jamie! Thanks so much for sharing my challenge with others on your blog! ❤️