Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Trying Not to Buy So Many Books...

I saw this today on Sandra's blog:



This is how I have felt lately. 

As for buying books, I have been trying to avoid that lately, though I did find a few books this month at second-hand stores that I just had to have. I was looking for two of the books in particular and had to get them while I found them. One in particular on the day I got it was half-off the price that the thrift store usually charges. So that was a good buy.

But for the most part, I've been trying to buy fewer books, if any. Only about three this month, so far. It gets hard to  want to read what I have purchased, as I like to get out and one of my favorite places to go is the library. It's hard to leave the library without checking out books, but I have been able to make this work when I want to. I went last Saturday to return some books and also to see the free movie that was showing that day. My county library shows free movies on Saturdays and last week they showed Poms. It was a good way to pass the time before my class reunion that same night. I left without checking out any books that day, deciding to read some of the stuff I have at home for a while. I've been trying to do this at least once each month, getting as many books as I can for my shelf at home for a while each month. Though I miss going to the library after staying away for a while. If I can't find a book at the library, and don't want to buy it on Amazon if it's not at any thrift stores nearby, I can get it through the library's promotion known as Zip Boooks. This allows readers to order a book not already at the library. The book is then shipped free via Amazon and mailed to the customer's address. The customer then has three weeks to take the book to the library, just as they would for borrowed books already at the library. I like doing this because it's free, but only one book can be requested at a time, and only up to five books per month.

One of the books I got this month I have just finished. It was Eat, Pray, Love which I'd been wanting to read and which is not at my library. When I saw it at the thrift store, I decided to get it so I could read it.  As I said above, it was half-off that day, which I was unaware of, so it was a good buy. I'm glad to have gotten it so cheap.

4 comments:

Beverley Baird said...

I hear you! I keep telling myself that this month I won't buy more books - then I do. I have way too many. I do use the library and I try to get books at thrift stores, but sometimes a special book just calls me to buy it - full=price. Like Louise Penny's new Inspector Gamache book - out yesterday.

Elephant's Child said...

Good luck. I often make resolutions about not buying books. And often fail.

Sandra Cox said...

I hadn't heard of the ZIP program before. Wondrous.

Jamie Ghione said...

I don't know if all libraries have it, or something like it. Ours calls it Zip Books; I don't know if others libraries use that name.