Saturday, November 30, 2019

Did Some Shopping Yesterday

I always say I won't go to any stores on the Friday after Thanksgiving. Well, certainly not to fight crowds at 3AM over a flatscreen TV (have one already). And I certainly won't be lining up around the parking lot at Kmart or Target on Thanksgiving night. But I will sometimes go to the stores later in the day, when crowds start to thin down. And I did just that yesterday, around 1PM. 

Shot of Kmart in Hollister, California, set to close
in February 2020


I just had to see what Kmart was like yesterday, what with it about to close by February. On other days in recent years, the parking lot at the Big K has been mostly empty as has the inside of the store itself. And they often only have one or two registers open. But yesterday, with Christmas on its way, several registers were opened and many people were waiting. And the parking lot was fuller than usual. I could not believe myself when I chose to get something at Kmart yesterday, but I wanted to get what I got (something for the gift exchange at work next month) before it ran out.Even though they were a lot of people, the store was hardly mobbed. The store has been pretty bare-boned since they announced the closing. And everything is discounted in some way. I'm not sure how many more things I'm going to buy at Kmart before it closes. It's been around since 1990. Target came to Hollister about four years later. How many of you still have Kmart in your neighborhood? 

I decided not to try yo go Target, but passed by their parking lot and it was packed.

And they I went to the Goodwill to see what they had on the sale day, known as Blue Friday. I got a pair of leggings 20% off. Again, there was a long line of customers, but the store was hardly mobbed. I'd expected to see the clothing racks almost empty with clothing dropped on the floors, something I had seen last year on this day. But this year, the racks were still pretty full and no clothes were on the ground. 

If I want to get out on the dreaded Friday after Christmas, this is how I will do it. Even though Kmart will be gone next year....

1 comment:

Elephant's Child said...

I avoid actually going to stores during sales.
I already have too many things - and on-line shopping is available if I really want/need anything.
We still have a K Mart - though I don't know whether it is the same as yours or not.