Saturday, May 2, 2020

Loner During Lockown

I'll admit I miss getting out lately, even though I am more of an introvert. The center where I work is one such place I miss as it's a way for me to get out and fell comfortable around others who attend and also work as peer mentors. We've all been acquainted for some time now and I miss being near them all three days a week. And I miss going to the library, as I've already said.



I've often thought of myself as a loner, which I can still say I am, though I've gotten more used to being around others. There are still times I tend to do things alone if the need calls for it. Last fall, one of my fellow mentors gladly accompanied me to a play in our hometown, but was unable to do so again this recently (the only play our stage company has been able to hold this year took place in February before the lockdown began). But since I wanted to see this play, I was happy to do it alone. But if others can come, I'll be glad. 

What is really weird is how little I'd been going to places such as movies and bars before the lockdown began. Now I can't go at all. I was getting somewhat used to not doing such a thing before was I unable to do so at all. It sort of worked out for me, though I still miss doing it every so often, even if it will be done alone.

The most I can do to get out of the house lately is just to take a drive around town. I got a new car last December and am trying to get some mileage on it, though there have been days I have not driven. Not much to see in our empty town. 

I've been wondering how extroverts have been handling the lockdown. Some whom I know, I can just see them hating having to stay away from others and disliking using Zoom to talk. But they have to do it under the current circumstances. No doubt extroverts are suffering the most from being shut in. But the same can be true of some introverts.

Even I as an introvert haven't bothered trying Zoom. I attempted to download it, but flaked. And I'm not sure about trying again. My writers lab has been having Zoom meetings and I have been unable to participate. The lab will soon be on break for the summer, and as with everything else in the world, no one is sure when we will back in the regular world. The lab will start again in September, but right now we have no clue if it will be in person again anytime soon. I am going to try to write something to email to the other group members to read and critique if time allows. I'm glad to still have this option.

2 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I am also an introvert and mostly quite comfortable with the restrictions.
I do feel for the extoverts though (who don't feel welcomed to our world).
I have yet to try Zoom, though I will have to in connection with my voluntary work. Sigh.
Stay well, stay safe.

Laura said...

I am an introvert too. Because I am an artist and used to spending alot of time at home, I am loving the shutdown. I am getting so much art work done.