Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Library Curbside Pick Up

Image from library website.



I was so glad to hear that my local library is offering curbside pickup after three months of being unable to borrow physical items from the library. Even though people still can't go inside, it is great to be able to borrow books again. 

The curbside pickup began two weeks ago, but I did not begin using it until last week. I was able to return the books I had orderd through Zip Books over the last three months. The bookdrops on the sidewalk in front of the library had been closed once the lockdown began in March. Just before then, I had returned all the books I had had out up to that point, intending to read books from home, which I ended up having to do for most of the last three months. It was after the lockdown that I decided to try reading digital books via the library website. Then I got impatient and ordered some books I was eager to read, from Amazon. 


To get books via the curbside pickup, patrons must request items via the library website database and put them on hold. An employee will call the patron once the requested items become available. When the customer arrives, they will alert the employees with a text message and the employee will place the items on a table in front of the library for the customer to pick up. 

I've done this twice already and think it's a great idea. One "con" is that it only takes place on Tuesdays through Saturdays. Even so, the bookdrops are open on Mondays. It runs 10AM to 5PM. No Sunday service, even though the library began opening on Sundays starting last year. I enjoyed being able to go on that day. Another "con" is that one cannot look at books on the shelves to decide if they want to borrow them. This was a habit of mine before the lockdown that I hope to get back to doing one day. But for now, I'm glad to be able to borrow library books after three months of not being able to do so. 

I'm also not sure how many books I plan on borrowing at a time, to avoid having to drive down so often. We still have to remain at home most of the time. So far, I've only borrowed nine items since curbside delivery began, six last week and three this week, and am waiting for another Zip Book order. But I still have plenty at home I want to read.  

Does anyone else have curbside pickup from their libraries?

4 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Our libraries (some of them) are opening.
Curbside pickup is a brilliant idea though.

Gretchen said...

Our library is offering this as well. I have picked up books once and have appointment to pick up again this week. They schedule the appointments every ten minutes. It worked well and was very easy. We also have the drop boxes to return books. The library is encouraging everyone to keep them until they re-open (July 1), but you can return them in the boxes. I figure if I return mine, then they are available for someone else.

Sandra Cox said...

What a great idea. The library is getting creative. I like it.

Sandra Cox said...

Hope you've been reading to your heart's delight.