Thursday, September 10, 2026

13 Things About Sodas

Colleen at The Thursday 13 holds a weekly blogging prompt where bloggers make a list of 13 things on Thursdays. The topic is for you to choose. 


Last Friday, for my trivia class at work, I chose soda as the topic. I got my questions from two You Tube videos. Here are few things I learned (see below to see the videos):

  1. Dr Pepper was founded in 1885, predating Coca-Cola by a year. 
  2. Schweppes, founded in 1783, is responsible for creating carbonation used in sodas. 
  3. Cream in cream soda refers to cream of tartar.
  4. Diet Rite was the first diet soda.
  5. 7Up predated Sprite.
  6. Faygo was created by two bakers, using cake-frosting recipes.
  7. Sunkist is not a soda company, but a California citrus growers' co-op.
  8. Diet Coke was released in 1982.
  9. Mr. Pibb was originally called Peppo, until Dr Pepper filed a lawsuit.
  10. Tab's name referred to "Keeping tabs on your calorie intake."
  11. The name Mountain Dew is slang for moonshine.
  12. Root beer originally contained sassafras, which was banned by the FDA in 1960. Since then, artificial sassafras has been used in root beer.
  13. Birch beer, made from a tree bark, is mostly found in the Northeastern US.
These were the videos from which I derived my questions for the class:

 

I had jotted down the names of the videos, but when I searched for them on Youtube at work, I mistakenly played another video that had the exact same title as the first one above, from a different Youtube channel. I did not realize this until the video was nearly over and I got ready to play the second one shown above. The one I showed by mistake is here. The info in this video about Schweppes is what made me realize my mistake, as did the lack of info on RC Cola and Diet Rite in this video. I still learned a lot of info.

6 comments:

CountryDew said...

There's an interesting debate about where Dr. Pepper was invented. Texas claims it, but so does an area out of Roanoke, VA.

Liz A. said...

If you ever get a chance to see The Food that Built America (on the History Channel), they do episodes on Dr. Pepper, root beer, and some of the others. Fascinating stuff.

The Gal Herself said...

I do love soda and believe I must be a traditionalist, as I really do love Dr. Pepper and 7Up. Ginger ale, too. (Sprite? Pepsi? Eh.)

Paula said...

Fun info! Mountain Dew! 🥃

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Fascinating! Facts # 2, 3 and 10 are new to me, so thanks for that info! I'm home now from my recent jaunt and back to daily blogging.

Live and Learn said...

I visited the Dr. Pepper museum in Texas this year and learned a lot about sodas.