Friday, March 16, 2018

How to Work Through Pain

From Writerslife.org:




I’m not talking about physical pain because with enough time, you can overcome physical pain. I’m talking about the mental pain of going out there in the world and trying to accomplish your dreams. 
The normal path isn’t to go after your dreams, it’s working for the man and being grateful you get a few weeks off for vacation. There are a select few of people in the world who want more than that and if you’re reading this article, you’re one of those people. 
Pain comes in many forms, the most notable being the pain of failure. No one wants to fail, but it’s a must on your journey. There will be more than one instance in which you’ll encounter failure. 
When you face the pain of failure, you have two options. You can let the pain deter you from going forward or you can work on taking massive action.
It’s not so much that taking massive action heals your pain, it’s that it takes your mind off the pain you’re dealing with. The worst thing you can do to yourself is to give yourself idle time because when you give yourself idle time that’s when you really think about all the pain you’re in. 
No matter how many failures you’ve experienced or how much pain you’re dealing with, never give up on your dreams. When you make the conscious decision to give up, you’re going to face more pain than you could’ve ever imagined, the pain of regret. 
When you wake up in the morning, don’t think about everything that’s gone wrong in your life.  Start the process of taking action. It’s not going to be easy, but if it was easy, it wouldn’t be worthwhile. 
Put your head down and keep working. One day you’ll look back on the pain you went through and you’ll be thankful. You’ll be thankful because it will have made you into the person you are today!

I agree, in that writing about depression is a form of pain I have had to work through to get to where I have gotten so far. Some people might find it hard to write about such a subject, though there have been many who have done so. Depression memoirs have proliferated over the last two or three decades. I almost didn't think it was a good idea for me to do one, since so many existed already, and because I was heavily inspired by the one that pout the emphasis on Prozac, something I seemed to want to do. It was for that reason that I felt there already was a definitive book on the subject. I had to work through some pain to get put of that frame of mind and do what I had set out to do. And I did just that. 

Though I haven't ben there yet, I know that I can expect some rejection of my work, especially the first time I try to submit it to anyone. Nearly everyone has faced this with their initial writing, so I know to expect it myself.  I feel I'm already prepared for this.


1 comment:

Elephant's Child said...

I am sorry to say that anyone who says that with enough time you can work through physical pain hasn't experienced chronic and unrelenting pain of this type.
Just the same, emotional pain should also not be dismissed lightly.