Friday, December 31, 2010
Thursday, December 30, 2010
Saturday, December 25, 2010
|You Are Brilliant|
You tend to have a lot of technical knowledge. You love to learn how to do things.
You are innovative and competent. You can often see where others have gone wrong.
You are also a bit of a skeptic. You aren't going to believe anything until you've investigated it yourself.
Friday, December 24, 2010
Thursday, December 23, 2010
And even though I remember Baby Alive, I never asked for one. I can just imagine how carried away I would have gotten trying to feed her and make her soil her diaper and then getting upset because I ran out of the play food mix. I guess I saved myself from all this by not having this toy. I could not help enjoy watching this Baby Alive commercial:
The girl smacks the baby's behind because she needs a clean diaper! LOL!
I remember having a Baby Alive coloring book, in which a girl named Kathy yearns for this doll. She checks her piggy bank and sees she has just enough money. She tells her dad, "I'm gonna buy a doll." On one page is the caption "Find Baby Alive," with the doll pictured among other dolls and toys on the store shelf. Later on the girl is seen "Getting acquainted" with the doll; "Getting Wet" (she's playing with the doll outside and it begins to rain); taking the doll with her to back-to-school night and to the burger joint. "I like your doll, Kathy" another kid from school says. "What a cute baby" says the man at the burger joint. A friend comes over and one page we see Kathy's dad telling her friend, "Time to go!' This is as much as I ever had of this one.
Sunday, December 19, 2010
|You Are Kind and Caring|
You are naturally open minded and nonjudgmental. You're a good listener, and you end up hearing many secrets.
You reach out to everyone during the holidays, and your acts of kindness and generosity are remembered throughout the year.
You are easily touched this time of year. Even the right holiday card or little gift can move you.
This line originally consisted of eight girl dolls that came in a fashion made with sparkly fabric. A city playset, the horse (seen in the commercial) and four boxed fashion sets were also available. Just before the line was cancelled, two more fashion sets and four more dolls were added, including two male dolls. I never got any of these, but by then I was already tired of toys. Pictures can be seen here, though one doll is not pictured in her original outfit. The one with the long ponytails is one of the later-produced ones. She came in a striped leotard and matching leg warmers, a typical outfit of the 1980s. here she is wearing one of the boxed fashion sets. The other later-produced dolls are not pictured.
There were similar to line of small fashion dolls put out by Kenner a year or so earlier called the Glamour Gals. This line consisted of about eight girls. Each girl was produced several times in different outfits. The outfits were not removable, and some were painted on, such as bathing suits and pants. Some outfits were designed the same way in different colors. Two dolls for instance had the painted-on bathing suit, one in orange and the other in a purplish-red color. Two others wore similarly designed cowgirls suits with painted-on shirts and pants and fabric vests and hats. I only had two of these dolls, one I believe was the Shara doll in the sparkly blue dress and one of the Danni dolls, though I don't think it was one of those seen in any of the commercials.
Here is commercial with one of the Danni dolls (the user won't allow embedding).
Saturday, December 18, 2010
You Are Sophisticated
You are a sentimental gift giver. You prefer to give gifts that have meaning, even if they aren't particularly useful.
You are spontaneous and impulsive. You tend to do things quickly, and you're quite impatient.
You are somewhat organized, but you always feel like you could be doing a bit better! You have high standards for yourself.
Your style of dress is whimsical and inspired. You love to play around with different looks.
Friday, December 17, 2010
This next image is also form the 1972 catalog and contains an ad for a toy I actually got one year, when I was much older than a year! In the top area area of the scan you can see the Sunshine Family dolls set. This was a long-running toy from Mattel that came with ideas for crafting furniture and other stuff for the dolls out of milk cartons or other objects. Grandparent dolls and pets (a dog and cat set with pet supplies) were also made as were numerous playsets and crafting kits. For more info, see here.
Tuesday, December 14, 2010
|You Are Four Calling Birds|
You are a joyful person, and your joy multiplies during the holidays. You have so much to be happy about.
Your holiday wish is for good times with friends, fun, food, and of course, music.
You celebrate throughout the whole season. You truly cherish this time of year.
Saturday, December 11, 2010
|You Are Serene|
You are resourceful, quirky, and artsy. You like something that's a bit outside the norm. You aren't traditional.
You like your holiday decor to have personal meaning. Your ornaments and decorations each tell a story.
This holiday season you are grateful and spiritual. You are tapping into the deeper meaning of the holidays.
|You Are a Seasonal Latte|
The holidays give you a bit of a natural buzz, and you tend to get a lot done.
You are an expert on the holidays, and people often rely on you for support.
You know the best places to shop - and the best seasonal lattes to drink.
Friday, December 10, 2010
3. John Lennon and Yoko Ono may have written the lyrics for “Happy Xmas (War is Over),” but the melody was taken from an old folk song about a racehorse called “Stewball.”
4. “Do You Hear What I Hear” was actually a protest song of sorts. Written in 1962, the lyrics encouraged peace in the midst of the Cuban Missile Crisis.
5. “Silver Bells” was called “Tinkle Bells” until co-composer Jay Livingston’s wife pointed out to him that “tinkle” is commonly used as slang for “pee.” It was quickly changed to “Silver.” Another interesting tidbit: Livingston and his writing partner, Ray Evans, were also responsible for “Que Sera Sera” and the theme songs toBonanza and Mr. Ed.
6. When Irving Berlin wrote “White Christmas” in his head, he said to his secretary, “Grab your pen and take down this song. I just wrote the best song I’ve ever written — heck, I just wrote the best song that anybody’s ever written!”
7. In “The Twelve Days of Christmas,” the fifth gift of “five golden rings” doesn’t mean jewelry – it refers to ring-necked birds such as the pheasant. The meaning has gotten a little skewed over the years. Also, it wasn’t originally “four calling birds,” it was “four colly birds,” which is a rather old-fashioned term for a blackbird.
8. The song “Christmas Why Can’t I Find You,” later restyled as “Where Are You Christmas” by Faith Hill, was first sung by Taylor Momsen as Cindy Lou Who (pictured) in the 2000 version of How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Yeah, THAT Taylor Momsen. Interestingly, Mariah Carey wrote the song but wasn’t allowed to sing it because of a contract issue with her ex, Tommy Mottola.
9. Aimee Mann’s “Christmastime” written by Michael Penn, Sean Penn’s brother.
10. The Chipmunks’ “The Chipmunk Song” has hit the Billboard Hot 100 over and over, most recently in 2007, when it was rereleased with the new Alvin and the Chipmunks movie. You know the one, but here it is just in case you don’t have a song wedged in your head right now. And here’s the 2007 one, which I kind of hate.
All so very weird. "Golden ring" is just another bird? As if one's "true love" doesn't give enough of those already!
Thursday, December 9, 2010
|You Are Whimsical and Imaginative|
For you, it's yet another opportunity to express your glorious view of the world.
Whether you're decorating your house or baking cookies, you like everything to have your personal touch.
You do your best to make the holidays a unique and special time for everyone around you.
Of all the types, you are the most likely to give delightfully surprising and interesting gifts.
You're also the most likely to wrap your gifts in an quirky, beautiful way.
|You Should Have a Gold Christmas Tree|
You definitely have a generous spirit, and you give a lot during the holiday season.
You really go over the top for Christmas. Everyone on your list gets a great gift.
Even if you don't have a lot of money during the holidays, it's the one time you pretend like you do.
Your gold tree would look great with: All kinds of metallic decorations
You should spend Christmas Eve watching: Miracle on 34th St
What you should bake for Santa: A ton of cookies, cupcakes, and candy. You would enjoy spoiling him.
Monday, December 6, 2010
Wednesday, December 1, 2010
|You Are Red Lights|
No one epitomizes the spirit of giving as much as you do.
You enjoy all of the tastes, sounds, smells, and sights of the holidays.
You usually have the best decorations, music, and food.