In 2013, my love of historic fiction was rekindled. When all the sign-up posts for 2014 challenges started going up, I noticed there were none for historic fiction. I searched and searched and even asked on Twitter, but as far as I can tell, no one is hosting one…so I decided I would. This will be my first yearlong challenge in three years of blogging, and I’m excited! I hope you guys are too.
~Challenge Details and Guidelines~
- The challenge will run from January 1st, 2014 - December 31st, 2014. Sign-ups will remain open until December 15th, 2014
- You don’t have to have a blog to participate, as long as you can post your reviews somewhere (GoodReads, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc)
- This challenge encompasses both YA and adult historic books
- Any subgenre of historic fiction counts - historic romance, paranormal historic fiction, historic fantasy, etc. Time slips (where a character(s) goes back and forth between the present and the past) also count. Publication date doesn’t matter - whether it was published this year or thirty years ago, it counts.
- Any length and format of book count - audiobooks, ebooks, novellas, etc.
- Create a sign-up post for the challenge (or tweet, Facebook post, GoodReads status, etc if you don’t have a blog), include the graphic at the top of this post, along with a link back so other people can sign up, and be sure to tell us which level you’re aiming for (levels are below). You don’t have to list the books you intend to read, but you can if you want. When you add your link to the Linky below, please use the direct link to your sign-up post.
- At the beginning of each month, I’ll post a new Linky where you can add your reviews for the month. If you forget to link up one month, you can link up the next, just please don't link the same review twice. Unfortunately I can’t afford to do giveaways each month, but I’m hoping to do surprise giveaways* for participants, and there will definitely be a giveaway at the end of the year. The more books you review, the more entries you get in the grand prize giveaway!
- Reviews must be posted for the first time between January 1st, 2014 and December 31st, 2014 to count.
- If you’re on Twitter, feel free to tweet updates, reviews, etc using the hashtag #2014HFRC so we can all find each other and cheer each other on. I’ll randomly retweet tweets using that hashtag throughout the year.
- You don’t have to follow Ramblings of a Daydreamer to enter the challenge, but you might want to follow via BlogLovin’ or email so you know when the monthly link-ups are posted, along with surprise challenges or giveaways.
- Each month I’ll be updating the 2014 Historic Fiction Reading Challenge page at the top of the blog with everyone’s progress. Each person who posts a review will get their name added, along with all the reviews they link up each month - hopefully that will drive more traffic to your blog!
*If you’re an author, blogger, publisher, publicist, etc who would like to donate historic fiction books (physical, ebooks, audiobooks, anything) or swag as prizes for this challenge, or if you'd like to offer books for review opportunities to participants, please contact me at irishstar_83(at)hotmail(dot)com. For anyone willing to donate, I’ll do my best to promote your blog, book, website, etc., and you'll get special acknowledgements on the 2014 Historic Fiction Reading Challenge page at the top of the blog.
1-5 books ~ Testing the bonds of time
1-5 books ~ Testing the bonds of time
6-12 books ~ Slipping through time
13-20 books ~ Traveling back in time
21+ books ~ Living in the past
My books for this challenge:
- Serafina's Stories--Rudolfo Anaya
- Water For Elephants--Sara Gruen
- The Heart is a Lonely Hunter--Carson McCullers
- Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe-- Fannie Flagg
- Number the Stars--Lois Lowry
- The Night Circus--Erin Morgenstern
- Through a Glass Darkly--Karleen Koen
- Jacob Have I Loved--Katherine Paterson
- The Paris Wife--Paula McLain
- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society--Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
- The Red Tent--Anita Diamant
- Pomegranate Soup--Marsha Mehran
- Rosewater and Soda Bread--Marsha Mehran
- Harlem Redux--Persia Walker
- The Wednesday Letters--Jason F. Wright
- The Postmistress--Sarah Wright
- Mystery of the Dark Tower--Evelyn Coleman
- Al Capone Does My Shirts--Gennifer Choldenko
- A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court--Mark Twain
- A Single Shard--Linda Sue Park
- Dream Tide--Robin Lee Hatcher
- Carry On, Mr. Bowditch--Jean Lee Latham
- The Black Opal--Victoria Holt
- The Devil Wears Plaid--Teresa Medeiros
- Magical Kittens--Donna Bell/ Catherine Blair/Joy Reed
- Mount Vernon Love Story--Mary Higgins Clark
- The Memory Keeper's Daughter--Kim Edwards
- The Sherbroke Bride--Catherine Coulter
- The Hellion Bride--Catherine Coulter
- The Heiress Bride--Catherine Coulter