Sunday, May 17, 2020

Mental Health Month




One thing I've been missing because of the lockdown is being at the Mental Health Center. I've worked a peer mentor since 2016 and always enjoy being around the others who come. I'm missing it even more this month since May is Mental Health Month. We usually have some event for the center during this time. 

Usually I go into the office and see my psychiatrist on screen, known as telepsychiatry, with a nurse or case manager assisting. But for my most recent appointment, a nurse called me at home and I spoke to the telepsych doctor over the phone. My next appointment is in June, and of course no one knows what things will be like then. 

I'm not scared to admit that I've had more panic attacks and have felt a little more depressed during the lockdown. Admitting such things is part of reducing the stigma of mental health. I also fear I will have agoraphobia as a result of the now-two-month shutdown. Getting to the store when needed is even more of a chore now. I've been eager to get out in the world, but am now apprehensive of such. I won't even get started on my state and county's gradual reopening. But I am looking forward to everything getting better.

3 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

How did you find the phone appointment? I do hope it helped.
You are so not alone in increased anxiety. Hugs.

Sandra Cox said...

Thinking of you, Jamie and wishing you stress free days.

Sandra Cox said...

Hope today is filled with all the good things. Books, sunshine, cookies:)