Sunday, October 25, 2009

Party City

In between the two thrift store visits yesterday, I went into the Salinas, California Party City store. It was quite crowded for one week before Halloween and there was a long line of people waiting to try on costumes.   People were eyeing the poster of costumes on the back wall of the store. Having read this article two years ago, I began to wonder if I'd overhear parents at party City yesterday having these conversations with their children.  I  can't recall any as it was very loud with the crowds and the music that was playing over the store's intercom system (Michael Jackson's "Thriller" was playing as I entered the store and started again just as I was getting ready to leave).   Are these parents not as strict as those in this article?  I just don't know what I would be doing if I were a  parent, though I would suggest making my own disguises for kids. 

What I did do was pass by the poster in one of the aisles with the kids and preteen costumes photos.  I looked at the Aqua Fairy mentioned the article:

 ....Gabby did like the Aqua Fairy, a vampy get-up with a black ripped-up skirt, black fishnet tights and blue bustier that comes in medium, large and preteen. A medium fits a child of 8.

No.



OK, so this exposes the shoulders and comes with fishnets. Perhaps this is why she opposed this.  But as far as I could see no one at the store was buying this. And I could not hear anyone saying about anything "No, you can't have that," or "This is so inappropriate."

I did see two  girls pointing to the racer costume below:

Now this is one the parents in that article would have opposed as well.  Apparently there were no parents with these girls and I have no idea how old the girls were, though they looked to be between 16 and 21. 


No comments: