Friday, November 20, 2009

Christmas music already

I have to confess I broke a vow I'd made not to play any of my Christmas CDs until after Thanksgiving.  But I was tempted after the music system at my work started playing the all-day Christmas music rotation yesterday.  In previous years, they would wait until the day after Thanksgiving to start the Christmas music.   I guess they had to be like other stores that were already playing the holiday music over their intercoms.   I heard Christmas music over the intercom at  the Super Walmart across the street earlier this week.   At least our store avoided playing the  the Christmas music starting on November 1.   A whole month of Christmas music all day is bad enough, an extra week than in previous years I guess I can take, but I could never stand two whole months of Christmas music all day long!  One day after dragging out my Eagles CD to play "Witchy Woman" for Halloween, I had no interest in getting out my Christmas CDs (including the Christmas parody CDs by Bob Rivers) when I needed to take down and put away my papier-mache ghosts, plastic bag pumpkins, plastich hanging ghosts and lighted plastic pumpkins until next October.   Only after hearing the music on the work intercom earlier than I'd expected did I want to start listening to the  Christmas music I have at home.  

Strangely, I have never heard "Do You Hear What I Hear" or "Little Drummer Boy" on the work intercom.  I began noticing that when I first worked at Home Goods in 2006. During the holiday season that year on one of my days off, I went to my local Safeway had heard "Do You Hear What I Hear?" over their intercom system.   That's when I realized I hadn't heard it at work.  But the lack of these songs is hardly bothersome because everything gets repetitive anyway.  I will have already heard between 15 to 20 versions of  "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" and "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" and other standard Christmas fare by the first of December.  And I will hear Christmas songs done by everyone from the Jackson Five to Bon Jovi to  Macy Gray to Harry Connick Jr.,  to Mariah Carey to George Michael... the list goes on.  I have to admit I like the songs "Step Into Christmas" by Elton John and "Wonderful Christmastime" by Paul McCartney.  It took me years to find CDs that contained those songs.  I don't mind playing those at home even though they too will turn up over the work intercom.   One Christmas song I've not found on any Christmas CD is "Please Come Home for Christmas," the version by the Eagles from 1978.   I hear this one over the intercom as well other versions of the song.  

At least  I will be sticking to no Christmas decoration up until at least next Friday as I had planned.   If I can get them up next Saturday I will have them up before December 1, a Tuesday this year.    

No comments: