I've decided to try this Goodreads challenge. This one ends on September 30. See here for more details and for how to sign up.
♣ When you sign up for the challenge, please post a challenge template so we have a post to which to link your name; post #2 will list participant links which can then be used for making challenge updates.
♣ For each book you read, please indicate the title, the author and the date you finished reading it. If a challenge task gives several options, please make it clear which option you’ve chosen. If the task calls for an item on the cover, include a link to the book cover.* If it’s not obvious from the book title or cover, be sure to explain how your book fits the task. If you don’t, you won’t get credit for completing that task.
♣ Unless otherwise noted, books must be at least 150 pages long.
♣ Books may only be used for one task in this challenge, but cross-challenge posting is encouraged!
♣ If you want the challenge moderator to check your progress as you make updates, please copy/paste your update into a new message . We don't have time to scroll back through the entire thread looking for "message #15," or to follow links back to an original post.
♣ When you complete the challenge, please post your entire list as a new message to make it easier for everyone to see what you've read. If you don't repost your list, you won't be included in the list of those who have completed the challenge.
*If you don’t know how to post a link to the book title or cover, see the instructions here: Link Instructions
The Rainbow Connection
Duration: April 1 - September 30, 2015
1) Light: ☂Read a book whose cover shows any light source (natural or manmade) OR read a book with a body of water on the cover OR read book #42 on your TBR. A Salty Piece of Land--Jimmy Buffett (lighthouse)
2) Spectrum: ☂Read a book with a bright, colorful cover OR read book #7 in a series OR read a book whose title contains three or more of the letters R,O,Y,G,B,I,V (letters may be in any order; please specify which letters you've used). Oh My Stars--Lorna Landvik
3) Newton:☂Read a book pertaining to music OR read a book with any type of celestial body on the cover OR read a book whose title contains a weekday. The Wednesday Wars--Gary D. Schmidt
4) Double Rainbow: ☂Read the second book published by any author OR read a book whose title has any type of directional word in it (i.e. forward, sideways, east, etc.) OR read a book with a red cover.
Dork Diaries: Tales of a Not-So-Happy Heartbreaker--Rachel Renee Russell
5) Twinned Rainbow: ☂Read a book featuring twin characters OR read a book with two (and only two) identical objects on the cover OR read a book whose page count contains a “2.”
The Crossover--Kwame Alexander
6) Circle: ☂Read a book featuring a circular item on the cover (circle should be ~25% of the cover) OR read a book with a clearly visible horizon on the cover OR read a book whose cover shows a tall building or any type of flying machine. Outlander--Diana Gabaldon
7) Supernumerary: ☂Read a book where the first letter of each title word may be found in SUPERNUMERARY (3 word minimum) OR read a book whose cover shows any type of stacked items OR read a book whose cover shows several similar small items (i.e. raindrops, polka dots).
The Mother-Daughter Book Club--Heather Vogel Frederick
8) Reflection: ☂Read a book whose cover shows a reflection (i.e. surface of lake reflects trees, mirror image) OR read a book with any type of arched item on the cover OR read a book whose title contains either the word “ABOVE” or “BELOW.” Blue Ridge Reunion--Mia Ross
9) Monochrome: ☂Read a book with a red cover (75%) OR read a book whose author’s first and last initials may be found in MONOCHROME OR read a book whose title contains a word that indicates one (i.e. ONE, SINGLE, ONLY). 1st to Die--James Patterson
10) Moonbows: ☂Read a book whose cover shows a full moon OR a book in which some kind of waterfall is mentioned (tell us how) OR read a book featuring a photographer. Light of the Moon--Luanne Rice
11) Fogbows: ☂Read a book whose cover shows fog or great cloudiness OR read a book that takes place near a lake OR read a book whose cover colors are soft and muted. The Martian--Andy Weir
12) Mythology & Arts: ☂Read a book about classical mythology OR read a book in which a flood occurs OR read a book featuring any of the arts (i.e. music, dance, paintings, etc.) Art Geeks and Prom Queens--Alyson Noel (photography is mentioned)
13) Irish: ☂Read a book that takes place in Ireland or has an Irish character OR read a book with a gold colored cover OR read a book where something is hidden (a real, physical object).
14) Rainbow Flag: ☂Read a book that deals with any social issue (tell us what it is) OR read a book that is marked LGBT OR read a book that takes place in South Africa. Choose Your Own Autobiography--Neil Patrick Harris
15) Relaxing & Healing: ☂Read a self-help book OR read a book where a character practices yoga or meditation OR read a book you find relaxing. A Woman's Worth--Marianne Williamson
16) Wizard of Oz: ☂Read a book with a character who desires making a significant life change OR read a book with an author or main character named Judy or Dorothy (no variations!) OR read a book whose title contains the word “DREAM(S).” Spring Cleaning Murders--Dorothy Cannell
17) Muppets: ☂Read a book with a green cover or with a frog on the cover OR read a book in which a character longs or hopes for something (tell us what) OR read #74 on your TBR list.
Daddy's Little Girl--Mary Higgins Clark
And now, you guessed it, you’re going to make your very own rainbow. You will read a total of seven books, one book whose cover matches each band of the rainbow.
18) Red: Assault and Pepper--Tamar Myers
19) Orange: Carrot Cake Murder--Joanne Fluke
20) Yellow: Don't Look Down--Jennifer Crusie and Bob Mayer
21) Green: Cat With an Emerald Eye--Carole Nelson Douglas
22) Blue: Bet Me--Jennifer Crusie
23) Indigo: The Company You Keep--Neil Gordon
24) Violet: Wuthering Heights--Emily Bronte
... Challenge completed on August 4 ....