Thursday, March 7, 2019

Writing Poetry

Now that my creative writing class is back, I plan to do a lesson on poetry writing. I learned that April is National Poetry Month, so I may wait till then to do it in class, even though I have one more class for March (I'll likely do something else on that day). But I myself could not wait to try writing different kinds of poetry at home as preparation.  I gathered different types of poetry from Shadow Poetry to attempt to write. I never knew there were so many kinds! It was hard just to pick some of the types, as they all seem challenging. I plan to show these to others at the center beforehand so they can get ideas.



I've already written an Acrostic and a Diamante. I have added both of these to my Wattpad stories list (click here to read). I also did a Cinquain (will try to add that one to my Wattpad later). 

Again, there are so many different kinds of poetry that I want to try. One really tempting one is Terza Rima, the most famous of which is The Divine Comedy by Dante. The Triolet is also tempting me, as are the Nonet, the Sonnet, and so many others. Some seem especially hard to write like the Sestina. Another one that looks hard to do is the Villanelle. Dylan Thomas's "Do Not Go Gentle into that Good Night" is one of the most famous Villanelles.

Writing Free Verse and non-rhyming poems has always been easier for me, but I want to try something harder.

3 comments:

Kelly Hashway said...

I haven't written poetry in a very long time.

Sandra said...

Writing poetry is definitely an art form.

Anonymous said...

This is the perfect website for anybody who wishes to find out about this
topic. You know so much its almost hard to argue with you (not that I really would
want to…HaHa). You certainly put a fresh spin on a topic which has
been written about for ages. Excellent stuff, just wonderful!