Saturday, January 25, 2020

The Last Days of Kmart in Hollister, California

Anyone who's looked at a soon-to-be-shuttered store in the last days before it closes has probably thought this way. You go in thinking you can get clothing, shoes or household supplies for cheap, yet the reality that sets in when you enter the store is that very little of what is left is worth buying even at 70% or more off. That is exactly what I have been experiencing as Kmart in Hollister, California prepares to close down. The last day is February 2, only a week from tomorrow.  In the last weeks, the remaining merchandise has been continually moved round, leaving the back areas of the store to look like this:




In the last days of a store before closing, there seems to be only clothes in sizes that are too small or too big if you're a medium or large. And if you're a size 8 or 8 1/2 in shoes, you're pretty much out of luck as well. I knew to expect this sort of scenario, though I keep going in looking at clothes. It would be so great to buy them 70% off the original tagged price.

As some may expect,virtually all that's left is stuff no one wants, including leftover seasonal items. Some Halloween stuff is left, mostly kids costumes, including several Elvis jumpsuit costumes and colorful lizard costumes. Along with baby bib costumes and  flimsy plastic jack-o-lantern porch-light covers. Even at 90% off, who's thinking about Halloween now? And Christmas stuff is still around, at 80% off. It used to be that people would always buy discounted Christmas items after the holiday, bit apparently not now, even at 80% off. I guess no one wants to think about Christmas now, either. Though a while ago, I did see someone exiting the store with an artificial Christmas tree. Even summer toys, now 60%, still remain available. Summer's a lot closer away than Christmas or Halloween, but I'm sure very few people are even thinking about summer yet. All other toys are 60% off as well, but other than for someone's birthday, I'm not sure how many people are looking for them now. And they're mostly generic toys, that probably few kids want.






I have no clue what will happen to all the stuff that doesn't sell, but I have a feeling that the leftover holiday stuff will end up at Goodwill this year. I have seen some of Kmart's Halloween costumes at Goodwill in the past. 

Even cleaning supplies and health and beauty items are very slim pickings now. I spotted several bottles of conditioner, but no shampoo left. Are people buying shampoo without conditioner now? No discounted OxiClean or laundry detergent either. 

But even though I have not found many clothes, cleaning supplies or health and beauty I want, I found some books. Even what remains of that department is pretty slim, but I did find some I actually wanted to have:


The Garden of Small Beginnings--Abbi Waxman
The Swans of Fifth Avenue--Melanie Benjamin
Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons--Lorna Landvik
Driving With the Top Down--Beth Harbison
Taking It All--Maya Banks
The Best of Enemies--Jen Lancaster
Two audiobooks, originally 3 for $10:
Sea Glass Island--Sherryl Woods
Kiss and Tell--Fern Michaels


Each of these of the books were purchased on different dates, two or three at a time. During one of these book hauls, they were half off, then during another, 60% off. They were originally $4 for paperback and $5 for hardcover. I cannot recall ever getting this many books at Kmart, or even when I last bought any books at the store. For the record, there were several copes of The Swans of Fifth Avenue (one hardcover and the rest paperback) and several copies of Sylvia Day's book, Captivated by You, which I already have. I'm not sure if I'll be getting anymore books, that depends on what is left. And as the days pass, the book selection may not be so good in the days to come. 

I plan to look at the store in the next week, though I don't count on finding much. Looking can still be fun.

2 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

The books sound like good value. I am not sure that our KMarts are the same, but I think the cheapest books there would be $10 or $12. $18 would be more common.

Sandra Cox said...

Good deal on the books. Our K Mart has been closed awhile now.