Thursday, June 13, 2024

13 Things About the Number 13 for Thursday the 13th

Colleen at The Thursday 13 holds a weekly blogging prompt where bloggers make a list of 13 things on Thursdays. The topic is for you to choose. The blog host doesn't have any official graphics to display on the Thursday 13 posts, so I decided to whip one up myself. 🙂



We are just one day short of the superstitious day of Friday the 13th. But I liked how the 13th occurs on Thursday this year as it gave a great idea for a topic of this week.  

  1. Triskaidekaphobia is the fear of the number 13.
  2. Because of it being such an unlucky number many cities don’t have a 13th street or 13th Avenue.
  3. Many elevators don’t list the 13th floor and many hotels don’t have a room number 13, it is sometimes 12-A.
  4. In tarot reading, the number 13 is the death card.
  5. There are 13 cards in each suit in a standard deck of playing cards.
  6. 13 is the atomic number of aluminum.
  7. The four seasons each have 13 weeks.
  8. Apollo 13 had a successful landing on the moon and return to earth, despite an onboard explosion.
  9. There are approximately 13 cycles of the moon each year.
  10. Prohibition in the United States lasted for thirteen years, from 1920—1933.
  11. In Greek mythology, Zeus was the thirteenth and the most powerful god.
  12. Plenty of frightening figures in history have 13 letters in their names. (See here). 
  13. Taylor Swift is a big fan of the number 13.
And those are just some fun facts about the number believed to be superstitious by many. Click here, here and here (the sites from which I obtained the info above) to see even more.


Even though it's Thursday the 13th this month, beware that Friday the 13ths are happening in September and December. Did you know that the first day of the month occurring on Sunday means the 13th will be on a Friday? Or that the first week of the coronavirus pandemic shutdown in March 2020 included a Friday the 13th? (Not a lot seemed to made about that one, surprisingly). And that there can be up to three Friday the 13ths in a year? (Click here, here and here to see even more).

BTW, I'm not that superstitious!

9 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Interesting collection of facts!

Danielle L Zecher said...

I'm a little surprised that people didn't make a big deal of the COVID shutdowns starting around Friday the 13th.

CountryDew said...

This is great. I enjoyed this a lot. I am not superstitious but the two times I wrecked my car were on Friday the 13th.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

wow, lots of 13 facts I never knew! I'm not sure I should thank you or yell at you because I can be superstitious. :-)

Elephant's Child said...

Interesting. Fear of 13s is not a superstition I subscribe to, but many do.

Liz A. said...

Today is my niece's birthday. (She turns 23.)
There will be at least one Friday the 13th in any given year.
(Psst. Apollo 13 *did not* land on the moon. They only passed it on their way back.)
I like 13. I consider myself an honorary 13 as my birthday is on the 31st. ;)

The Gal Herself said...

I didn't know Prohibition lasted thirteen years! That's much longer than I thought. Thanks for sharing.

Sandra Cox said...

Oh this was fun. Learned somethings I didn't know.

Samantha@WLABB said...

I do think we have blown the luck associated with this number out of proportion. I mean, skipping floors? I did not realize there were 13 weeks in each season (even if I can math).