How keen of an observer are you? Good at finding important stuff? Or maybe not, but you just want to participate anyway? This challenge is just a fun way to see if you can find a list of items as you read no matter what romance style you pick up. The reader picks and chooses how many books and what list items they want to find. It can be a commitment to ten reads a year or a hundred. Everyone is welcome to participate.
Level One – Treasure Hunter in Training- 10 items/10 places
Level Two – Garage Sale Guru- 25 items/ 25 places
Level Three -Professional Picker- 50 items/50 places
- Choose level and share in your initial post and/or below in the comments.
- Make initial challenge post and then update once a month. Leave blog links or update in comment section for our monthly reading challenge post. Tracking may be as simple or as elaborate as you wish to make it (list objects with books in running tally or just updating with new additions from that month).
- Start on or after January 1 and no later than November 1, 2016 – End before or on December 31of 2016.
- Qualifying books must be published (ARCs may be included),
Be romance or have strong romance element.
No restriction on sub-genre (Dystopian, Historical, Contemporary, LGBT, etc), reading level (YA, NA, or Adult), format (paper, e-book, audio), source (purchased, gifted or borrowed) or length of book.
May be a re-read as long as it is started after Jan. 1st.
Must be listed by Title and Author. Place in a series or connection to series would be good to know too.
Books can count toward other reading challenges.
- Reader can count only one item per book even if book offers several items from the Scavenger Hunt list.
- Reader must have an on-line place to track for challenge whether it is on a blog or whether it is creating a specified ‘Literary Pickers’ Challenge shelf at a place like GoodReads or Shelfari as the point is for other readers be able to see what you are reading.Having a review and rating for each book completed would be great, but not required.
- Reader may choose a lower level to start and advance to an upper level if needed.
Scavenger Hunt participants must work off the specified list, but if you found an object that is in the same spirit of the one on the list you can count it. Most of all just have fun and encourage each other on in reading and chatting about books.
2016 Literary Pickers Challenge- Scavenger List
- Ceiling Fan
- Portrait (pg. 96) Jane Eyre--Charlotte Bronte
- House Plant
- Pumpkin (pg. 137) The Funeral Dress--Susan Gregg Gilmore
- Dead Bolt (pg. 399) The Chemist--Stephenie Meyer
- Grandfather Clock/Mantle Clock (pg. 51) The Girl You Left Behind--Jojo Moyes
- Window Blinds (pg. 176) Bed Rest--Sarah Bilston
- Microwave (pg. 16) On the Count of Three--Maureen Johnson
- Table Cloth
- Razor (pg. 64) Hope in a Jar--Beth Harbison
- Nail Polish (Fingernail Polish) (pg. 200) The Girl Who Chased the Moon--Sarah Addison Allen
- Hand/Purse Mirror
- Coffee Table (pg. 74) Afterburn/Aftershock--Sylvia Day
- Earbuds (pg. 99) Until There Was You--Kristan Higgins
- Window Shutters (pg. 81) The Pilot's Wife--Anita Shreve
- Sink (pg. 25) The Summer Wind--Mary Alice Monroe
- Lawn Mower/Equipment (pg. 168) The Lake House--Kate Morton
- Tile floor
- Hard Helmet (pg. 123) Cindy and the Fella/Calling All Glass Slippers--Jacqueline Diamond
- Earring/s (pg. 19) The Notebook--Nicholas Sparks
- Head Band (Headband) (pg. 268) Broken--Megan Hart
- Flip Flops (pg. 16) The Weekenders--Mary Kay Andrews
- Motorcycle boots
- Belt (pg. 170) Faking 19--Alyson Noel
- Tattoo/Body Art (pg. 60) Total Rush--Deirdre Martin
- Evening Gown/Dress (pg. 25) Attachments--Rainbow Rowell
- Business Suit
- Cuff Links
- Space Suit
- Military Uniform (pg. 18) 12 Shades of Surrender
- Fisherman/Newsboy Cap
- Scarf (pg. 177) Everything I Never Told You--Celeste Ng
- Bracelets/Cuffs (pg. 125) Villette--Charlotte Bront
- Natty or Ugly Sweater (pg. 92) Carol--Patricia Highsmith
- Sunglasses (pg. 45) Fly Away--Kristin Hannah
- Business Card/s (pg. 39) Girl Online--Zoe Sugg
- Lingerie (pg. 46) Pink Slip--Rita Ciresi
- Rifle(s) (pg. 148) Corsets and Clockwork
- Saddle (pg. 312) The Widow of the South--Robert Hicks
- Hammer (pg. 64) Enchanted August--Brenda Bowen
- Tool Belt/Box
- File Folder (pg. 65) Firefly Lane--Kristin Hannah
- Work Gloves/Garden Gloves
- Cash Register (pg. 20) The School of Essential Ingredients--Erica Bauermeister
- Measuring Tape/Ruler
- Ingredients (pg. 20) The Coincidence of Coconut Cake--Amy E. Reichert
- Sports Equipment
- Silencer for a gun (pg. 17) Thirst No. 2--Christopher Pike
- Lock Picks
- Stamps (pg. 41) From the Notebooks of Melanin Sun--Jacqueline Woodson
- Notebook/pad (pg. 56) Fangirl--Rainbow Rowell
- European Sports Car(s) (pg. 63) We Should Hang Out Sometime--Josh Sundquist
- American Muscle Car
- Fighter Jet/Spacecraft
- Steam-Powered Vehicle
- Ice Skates (pg. 201) The Penalty Box--Deirdre Martin
- Russia (pg. 51) Looking for Alaska--John Green
- China (pg. 138) Devil's Prize--Kat Martin
- India (pg. 24) The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel--Deborah Moggach
- Another planet (pg. 187) The Husband's Secret--Liane Moriarity
- Another Dimension/Parallel Earth
- Desert (pg. 40) Cinderella and the Sheikh--Natasha Oakley
- Tropical Island
- Place of Archeological Interest
- War Zone(s) (pg. 58) Summerland--Elin Hilderbrand
- Cart/Wagon (pg. 9) Queen's Own Fool--Jane Yolen and Robert J. Harris
- Alien/Alien or Alien/Human
- With a Geek
- Male/Male or Female/Female
- Menage or Poly
- Love Triangle (pg. 376) Leave Me--Gayle Forman
- Arranged Marriage (pg 59) The Ghost Bride--Yangstzee Choo
- Fated Mate
- Fake Mates/Marriage of Convenience
- Reunion or Second Chance
- Blind Date/Dating Service (pg. 7) Savannah Breeze--Mary Kay Andrews
- Dominant/submissive or Master/slave (pg. 97) The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty--A.N. Roquelaure
- One Night Stand
- Older/Younger (5 years or more age difference)
- Highschool Sweethearts/Young Love
- Apocalyptic/Dystopian Romance
- Romance before 1950
- Older Couple (over 50)/Winter Romance
- Enemies to Lovers
Calling this complete on December 30
Yay! Glad to have you taking the challenge with us, Jamie!
Good luck! :)
Post a Comment