Sunday, August 13, 2023

DVD or Streaming?


This is the question I have been asking myself ever since Netflix announced it would be ending its DVDs-by-mail service at the end of September.  Even more so now the end is more than a month away, as I was reminded in an email form Netflix last week. 

Not knowing how many more discs I will get in the next month and a half, I decided to see what I could watch on streaming free, and chose to remove those titles from my queue. Sadly there are some titles I can't find on either disc or streaming, and if they are on streaming, you have to pay to view some of the titles. I'm hoping some of the titles will be available to watch without paying at later dates.

When I began getting Netflix DVDs in 2007, I was often eager to watch a disc as soon as I could. But in the last few years, I have tended not to watch them immediately. This even happened during the pandemic, when I was stuck at home and had more than enough time to watch DVDs. Since I have tended to not watch most DVDs right away, I got to wondering how many I will be getting until the end of September, and if I will get to all the ones I have queued right now. This is why I decided to see what I could watch on streaming without paying, and delete those titles from the DVD queue.

I don't have Netflix streaming, BTW, and it's hard to explain why. And I don't plan on having up on watching DVDs either, with so many I already have. I can still get them t the library. The pro to this method is that they are free, of course, but the con is that I only get them for two weeks (though it used to only be for ONE week!) Though there are plenty of movies I have that I have not watched in years, though that's typical of anyone with such a collection. And it was just how I was with cassettes and CDs. 

Often when I would see a movie in the theater, I would decide if I liked it enough to get the DVD when it came out. I felt this way when watching Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret in the theater. I looked for the DVD at Target, but was unable to find it, so I may just order it from Amazon soon.  And I kind of felt the same way about Barbie. That one remains to be seen, however.

One of the things I'm going to miss about Netlix is seeing the iconic red envelopes in my mail box. It was always to find something other that bills and junk in the box. Alas....

And I came across this article today. I have to agree with most of the stuff it says. Another reason I will miss getting DVDs by mail, though I still have the option of getting them at the library. Though this might not be how to see new releases right when they come out.

Netflix has been promoting its 25th anniversary on its envelopes just as they are  about to wind down the service. That seems so sad....


3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Netflix has never offered rental DVDs through the mail in Canada. No one else did either. We had to physically go to a rental store to get them. I prefer streaming because it's easier.

Jinjer-The Intrepid Angeleno said...

It really doesn't get more exciting than seeing that red envelope in your mailbox, does it? The end of an era.

Liz A. said...

Streaming is easier, especially for things you only want to see once. It's the end of an era.