Friday, July 24, 2020

Don't Know About Celebrating This Year

Yesterday at the Dollar Tree I spotted this display:




Yes, Halloween items already. It always seems to occur in late July or early August. Normally, I wouldn't be thinking about Halloween right now, but because of the pandemic, it has been lately occuring to me that there won't be any big bar celebrations this year, which would have worked out great with the holiday on Saturday this year. And those who have children may have been looking forward to taking them out for trick-or-treating on a Saturday night. Indeed some have been wondering about this already. No potluck/party at work this year. The last one we had was for Valentine's Day in February. By now we probably would have had a themed party like we did the last two years. 

Even though I may not be too heavily thinking about the holiday in the middle of summer, a costume idea may occur to me at anytime as the stuff appears in the stores. One of my friends at work said she wanted to be the Starbucks Mermaid this year. Don't know if she's still going to go forward with it. And no ideas have come to me just yet. It's getting harder to even think of this now. Just decorating the porch seems like it will be out this year. And this would be the second year I put out my homemade scarecrow. 

I recently saw this going around on Facebook:




Would this work, do you think? Car parades were popular at the beginning of the pandemic, particularly when someone had a big birthday or for graduations. Two residents in my town had birthdays the same day in April, one turning 50 and the other 100. Both had car parades with people shouting birthday greetings. My cousin's daughter turned 13 in April as well and she too had a car parade, including my mom and me in my mom's van. And a graduation parade was held for a high school graduate who lives down the road from me. But now they have been banned in some areas. Unlike the protests, though, no one has seemed eager to have a car parade lately.  So would driving by to toss out candy be a viable option?

It still seems like there will be no celebration this year 😥

3 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

oh my gosh I had never thought about Halloween. We have had a lot of local car parades at graduation time. I don't see it happening for halloween though. A good costume could be the sphere of COVID. Nah, that's depressing. I don't think there will be many this year if held at all. Oh I must admit Halloween is one of my top holidays. I love seeing the kids, I love the left over candy, and I love that whole time of year. Well crap, another reason 2020 is a sucky year!

Elephant's Child said...

I think the car parades are an innovation idea, I am sad they have been banned in some areas.

Sandra Cox said...

That's an interesting theory;)