Friday, May 19, 2023

Back to the Movies

Last week, I got brave and went to the movies to see Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. I'd read the book many times and was eager to see it on screen. As with many book-to-movie adaptions, there were some differences. 

Even before the pandemic hit, I had not been going to the movie much. I believe the last time was in 2019, to see Last Christmas. When everything started gradually opening up after the quarantine, I was hesitant to do a lot of things, including going to the movies. Also, what was playing then didn't seem to interest me much. I want to save my money and time for ones I really want to see. I almost went yesterday to see the new Book Club movie, but decided against it at the last minute. I felt a little too rushed then, but perhaps another day. After being unable to do this sort of thing for over three years now, I've decided to get back into this mode gradually, though going inside the theater last week felt no different from years before.

I am still undecided abut seeing The Little Mermaid, since it opens on Memorial Day weekend. The cinema will be crowded then, no doubt, and I am not much for crowds. A local play production of The Little Mermaid is happening near me, starting at the end of July, but I'm not certain abut that either. I've not been to see a play since February of 2020, when my local stage company put on California Suite, their last production before the pandemic shutdown. They had already cast and scheduled Beauty and the Beast Jr, for that spring. That show finally place in November 2021, but I was still hesitant about going into these kinds of events at that time. I'd only gotten my booster about a month earlier. Slowly but gradually getting back. And trying to decide whether I want to see the Barbie movie in July. Still time for that, though.

3 comments:

Liz A. said...

I don't recall if I read this book. I read most of Judy Blume's stuff, but this one just kind of didn't interest me. I don't go to the movies much as I'd rather sit and knit while watching things, so I'll probably wait until it's streaming.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I still haven't returned to the cinemas after the pandemic. Friends tell me that afternoon matinees, especially during the week, are very sparsely attended so the risk is lower. But you know what? I don't mind waiting until the movies I want to see come out on some streaming service or another. I'm in no rush.

Sandra Cox said...

Did you like it?
Since Covid we seldom go.