Monday, September 30, 2013

League Assignment: What Do You Want?

 This week’s assignment from the League: Whaddaya want?



When you hit up the toy store, thrift store, flea market, or comic shop, what are some of the things you’re actively hunting?    
I regularly stop at any thrift store I can get to.  There are five in my hometown. We sadly lost our Salvation Army store in 2005 (I was hired there two months before they announced the closing).  When I can get the next town over, I try to stop at their Sal Army, a large store. Goodwill has been in our town since 2001 and the other thrift stores in my town are local ones , some of which are only open three times a week each.  And when I can I try  to get to the nearest Savers store.  For those who don't know Savers is the same chain as Value Village (in the Pacific Northwest and Canada) and Village des Valeurs (in French-speaking Canada).

My tendency whenever I walk into a thrift store is to look for books. They can be between 50 cents and $1, depending on the store.  I nearly always head to this section.  You never know what you will find, though lately I have not found any I wanted and some of the stores I regularly visit seem to not have gotten any new ones.  Some seem to still be on the shelves after some time.  it's been a while since I've been able to find any of the Hannah Swensen books by Joanne Fluke.    I still check out books from the library whenever I can. Nevertheless, I still have a lot of books new and used that I need to read.  I often get gift card from Barnes and Noble for Christmas.  I barely used the one I got last Christmas in April of this year. 

Clothes are another thing I take some time to look at  thrift stores.  None purchased lately, but I will if they are in decent shape and I like them. 

 And since it's nearing Halloween, there are displays for costumes and accessories in thrift stores now.  Most of these have been up since the beginning of September, some since the end of August.  I still haven't made a decision yet, but if a new costume is too expensive, the clothes and accessories at thrift stores are always there.

_______________________________________________________________________

It's early this week, so here are two others so far:

No comments: