Monday, July 30, 2018

Planning a Sequel






Still no title decision for my diary novel, though I have many in mind and am trying to narrow the choices down. But just last week I began writing something to begin a sequel to the diary. I haven't gotten very far on that one, though, and have only written it in a notebook. I tend to do it this way because it's easy to do when I'm in bed, and that was when I did it 🙂

Have any of you planned a sequel for an unpublished book? How common is it to do this? My reason for wanting to do a sequel is that I had some ideas in mind for my protagonist that I think would work better as a second book, rather than trying to cram all the storylines into one book. The first book still in progress is all about the protagonist dreading getting braces. For the second one, he is dreading becoming a teenager (more to come on this). Those seem like two separate storylines that could be written and told in two books. 

I know that you need to write more than a recap of the first book when beginning a sequel, though I did begin that way and will go from there to lead into the main storyline.

5 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I like that you are already planning a sequel. And suspect that many authors cram (waste?) too many ideas into one book.

Sandra Cox said...

I believe a lot of authors plan sequels for unpublished books. The only downside with sequels for unpublished books is if the first one doesn't sell that well, the second one probably won't either. But we face that every time we put a book out there.

Sandra Cox said...

I love having a notebook handy at bedtime;)

Sandra Cox said...

I have trouble getting down to writing until I have a title.Sigh.

Sandra Cox said...

Hope your day has been productive and that your evening is pleasant.