Tuesday, January 22, 2019

New Story on Wattpad

I had not been using my Wattpad account much or been reading other works on the site, but today I decided to add another piece I had written. Click here to see.


The Princess of Prozac

As for my class at work, we've only had one meeting so far this new year. It's on alternating weeks with another mentor's new meditation class (which began last week o Monday), and since yesterday was a holiday, my next class will not be until February. But that gives me plenty of time to decide what exercise to use next.  The first one I did since bringing back the class was drawing words out of a bag and using each of them in a piece. This was quite fun, and those who participated enjoyed it. It was amazing how what words each person drew and how they worked them into a piece. Perhaps I will share some of the ones I did later, after looking them over and polishing them a bit.

Some I used in the past were retelling a tale, which was the idea used on my story just published on Wattpad. I may use this one again in upcoming classes. Another idea that just came to mind is using pictures the same way as we used words to write a piece. I started gathering images from magazines to prepare for this one. Anther idea I liked using when I first held the class is talking a sentence from a book to use as the first line of a story or poem. I got many of these ideas from this book (though I have an earlier edition). Others I have seen from this book include one called "Cooking with the Dictionary," using words randomly found in a dictionary to write a piece. Kind of the same idea as the word grab bag. And here's one I want to try again: writing letters that won't be sent. I wrote about this on my blog in 2016, when I first ran the class. So many great ideas to try. Any ideas you may have, I'm open to suggestions.


2 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I really like the 'writing letters which won't be sent'. I suspect it could be a cathartic exercise for many.

Sandra Cox said...

So many creative ideas. Sounds like this is a fun and innovative class.