Sunday, January 10, 2021

Time Flies...



It's been more than a year since the passing of Elizabeth Wurtzel, author of Prozac Nation, and more than five years since I first read the book and posted this review on Goodreads:

As someone currently on Prozac for depression, I knew I had to read this book to see how, if at all, I could identify with what the author described herself going through. Even though I know that it was written over 20 years ago. Still it was a thought-provoking read. And I did see some incidents in the book that were nearly the same as (if not identical to) what I had gone through before beginning my Prozac last year. Although it took me this long to realize I suffered from depression and needed to seek help. I felt I was brave to have read this. 

It was after that I decided to write my own story. At first, I did not think it was great idea, as it seemed too similar to what had already been written. But people I know convinced me otherwise,a s everyone's experience is different. And so I began. 

I must confess I have not been seeing out my manuscript lately, either the memoir or the kids book. Though I did send each out last year, and for the kids book, I received a rejection email at the end of last April.I had sent them out in February last year, before the corona virus was declared a pandemic, forcing lockdown. This having happened, I did not expect to hear from any of the agents, and was surprised to hear from the one to whom I sent the kids' book. And as the pandemic raged on last year, seeding out my stories became one of the last things on my mind. I'm going to start looking for agents again, I'm just not sure when yet. 

I have since reread Prozac Nation, as well as two of Wurtzel's other books, More, Now, Again last April, and Bitch just last week.

And my birthday is tomorrow, but I'm just going to leave it that 😊

1 comment:

Beverley Baird said...

Happy birthday fellow Capricorn. I admire you, not only for writing your memoir, but for keeping going. You will persevere! All the best in finding the right agent. I have been trying for several years to write my memoir. No where near your success. All the best