Thursday, June 9, 2022

Using a Novel Writing Kit

It has been a long time (I just don't know how long!) since I've written anything. I guess I just couldn't think of much! And I don't know why!

Years ago, when working at Home Goods, I came across the following: No Plot? No Problem! Novel-Writing Kit.  I bought it then, so I must have wanted to try something then, but never did. After moving in 2016, I was sure I'd left it buried in one of the storage boxes that got left out in the garage, but it was among stuff I had carried into my bedroom, placed in my plastic drawer chest. After uncovering the kit, I wanted to try using it but never got around it until now.



The book/kit is by Chris Baty, founder of National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo), an event held in November each year, with the hope of writing a 50,000-word novel in one month. I hear about this event every year, but have never gotten the urge to try. Who has done this event? The idea behind this writing kit is also to write 50,000 words in a month. 

I'm not sure I'm following the rules stated in the booklet and on the cards with prompts for each day, but I'm doing what I can. I guess just do what I can. So far what I have done each day don't seem to connect, but I guess when it's all over, I can look to find parts that can be revised and possibly connected. Also, it says to start on the first of the month, but I actually started on the fifth. I'm sure the rules are up to interpretation.

I have also been looking for similar writing kits on Amazon. Not sure yet about getting more.


1 comment:

Elephant's Child said...

Good luck. I hope your writing mojo returns.