Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Book Discussion: How Long Do You Take to Read a Series?

I used to be eager to finish reading a series, thus binge-reading all the books one after the other in order. But lately I have found myself reading the first book in a series, and not reading the rest of the books, not right away anyway. Some of the  reasons for this: 

  1. A lack of interest in continuing (though this is pretty rare)
  2. Unable to find the rest of the books in the series at the library and not wishing to buy the rest if they can't be bought second-hand
  3. Finding a book other than the first one (happens often when getting thrift-store books)
  4. No hurry to continue right away, especially series with really long books (e.g., The Outlander series)
  5. Simply forgetting that I even began (also rare)

One thing that I have come across in my challenges in recent years are prompts for reading a duology or trilogy. In that case, I have to read all the books in the same year, though I have tended not to read the next one(s) immediately after the first one.  One prompt I have this year is "The final installment in a series." I don't yet know what book or series this will be from!


Does the above apply to you? Usually not to me, as I'm always reading something. When I'm done with a  series, I go on to read whatever I choose. Sometimes It's hard to decided what to read next, but that's true in any case (perhaps this could be another discussion topic).

How about you? How long do you take to read a book series? Do you binge or take your time?

Posted to:



4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

The last series I read consisted of 3 YA novels by Rick Riordan (the Magnus Chase series). Because they were still being published and I was buying them in hardback, it took a few years to read the series.

Sandra Cox said...

You know it just depends on how vested I am in the series. I'm plowing through the Longmire Series:)

My name is Erika. said...

Occasionally I find a series I have to finish right away, but it's always been rare for me to read one book of a series right after another. I think I have "book attention disorder", where I need to break up a series because otherwise I end up bored with the series. So I might read one, wait a month or so, and then read the next one. It's a great question though. Thanks for asking.

Shannon @ It Starts at Midnight said...

I used to be great at series... and then I started blogging! Now I am the WORST, especially if there are no ARCs for the final book, which happens a lot. Then it is more like "WILL I ever finish this series", even though I don't mean for it to happen, I simply end up not having time to get to it.