If you are new to a food/reading challenge, you may be wondering – what is a “food book”? A food book is a book which is centered around food and/or drinks. That could be a cookbook, a food biography or memoir, a non-fiction book focused around a specific food, wine, chef or restaurant, or a fictional story in which food plays a major role.
Here’s how the challenge works:
1. Decide how many food books you want to read in 2014.
Pick one of the reading levels below:
Short-Order Cook: 1 to 3 books
Pastry Chef: 4 to 8 books
Sous-Chef: 9 to 13 books
Chef de Cuisine: 14 to 18
Cordon-Bleu Chef: More than 19
2. Grab the challenge button and write a post on your blog so we can spread the word. If you want, you can also add the button to your sidebar to help get the word out that the challenge is on for 2015.
Want to join but don't have a blog? That's fine, just post a comment below in the comments section saying so, and then post your reviews in the comment section of the corresponding tab at the top of the blog under the header.
3. After you read each book for the challenge, come back here and tell us about it. Click on the correct category for your book on the menu bar, and post the link to your review. We’ll use the same categories as last year: Cookbooks, Memoirs/Biographies, Fiction, and Nonfiction. There's also a tab for you to link up your Challenge Wrap-Up post.
The challenge runs from January 1 through December 31, 2015.
You don’t need a pre-selected list of books.
It’s okay to cross over with other challenges.
Any book format is allowed (print, audio, ebook)
Here is what I'll be reading for this one:
- Like Water for Chocolate--Laura Esquviel
- Pie--Sarah Weeks
- Candy Apple Dead--Sammi Martin
- The Cupcake Queen--Heather Hepler
- The Chocolate Cat Caper--Joanna Carl
- Just Desserts--G.A. McKevett
- For God, Country and Coca-Cola--Mark Pendergrast
- The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul--Deborah Rodriguez
- Carrot Cake Murder--Joanne Fluke
- Assault and Pepper--Tamar Myers
- The Kitchen House--Kathleen Grissom
- Cream Puff Murder--Joanne Fluke
- The Sweet Spot--Stephanie Evanovich
- Gossamer Ghost--Laura Childs
- The Kitchen Witch--Annette Blair
- Bewitched, Bothered and Biscotti--Bailey Cates
- Charms and Chocolate Chips--Bailey Cates
- Devil's Food Cake Murder--Joanne Fluke
- Blackberry Pie Murder--Joanne Fluke
- The Christmas Cookie Club--Ann Pearlman
- The Tea House on Mulberry Street--Sharon Owens
Challenge completed on December 24