Saturday, November 1, 2014

A Dark and Stormy Night

OK, here's how my Halloween went.  As I stated yesterday, it rained most of the day and into the night. And I went out to the karaoke bar as I have been doing for several years now.  It definitely was dark and stormy last night, though not necessarily at the same time.  The storm had died down well into the late night, but just after 10PM, as the bar's celebration was getting bigger and crowded,  the power went out suddenly.  All the bar patrons were shocked and debated on what do to for the rest of the night.  It was a definitely spooky Halloween.  The bar tenders were unable to close out the credit card tabs that some of the customers had opened.  Everyone seemed to linger in the darkened bar for about half an hour after the power outage.  The owner was home and her son called her to come over.  A worker announced to all the patrons not to leave the bar alone.  I eventually walked out with the owner's son following me.  I've basically been a loner all my life and have braved going to things like this alone.

We eventually learned that the power was expected to be out for several hours.  Eventually some of the patrons, myself included, trekked over to a rival bar several blocks away (only some parts of town were affected by the outage, particularly the street on which the bar is located).  Because the stop lights were out, temporary stop signs were placed on the roads where the power was out.   The other bar across town is smaller than the one and there was a DJ there.  It seemed a little crowded.  I eventually left just after midnight.

Now this morning I learned that bar is doing a "redo" on the karaoke costume contest tonight.  I think I'll be going. I haven't ditched my costume yet (and I still have the one I wore LAST year!)  The power outage may have cut the celebration short, but the owner declared that you can't let a good bar down.

No comments: