Thursday, January 12, 2012

No More Twinkies (and Other Hostess Snacks)?

You may have heard by now that Hostess Brands, maker of Twinkies, Sno-Balls, Zingers, and Wonder Bread, among other snacks, has filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy this week.  

This was a hot topic on Twitter yesterday, and I was among those tweeting and re-tweeting about Twinkies.   One person wondered what county fairs will do without their deep-fried Twinkies.  I've  never tried these, as they seem a bit awful, but now wonder about those who do like deep-fried Twinkies, and how they will miss these.  Come to think of it, it's been years since I've gone to our county fair, but that's another story altogether.


Another thing that came up on Twitter about Twinkies was someone saying "I can't imagine a generation not knowing what a Twinkie is."  Yeah, it's hard to imagine Twinkies becoming another thing that some people have no knowledge of.  Already there are generations of people who don't know about the rotary phone, party lines, and just barely know about the landline phones.  Some who've seen an old vinyl record or 8-track tape and wonder what those were.  Some who've never used a floppy disk. Many who won't know about the capacitance electronic disc or the laser disc. And many other things that have come and gone.  Yes, even food brands come and go, but a Twinkie is one that everyone should be able to enjoy.   Twinkies, along with other the other Hostess snacks are always perfect for breakfast on the run. If there's nothing in the house for breakfast, it's so easy to grab a Twinkie and milk (or coffee if that's your preference) at the minimart while going to get gas on the way to work.  I've done this on occasion, but more often find myself buying the orange cupcakes (seen at right), another Hostess snack that I will be sad to see go.  Sure, Hostess has competition from Little Debbie, but does Little Debbie have a Twinkies knockoff?  If there is, I've never seen it. And do they make an orange cupcake?  Even so, it just won't be the same.

After hearing about the bankruptcy filing yesterday, it occurred to me that I have not had any of these snacks in some time, no idea just how long.  I then wanted to have some so I decided I get some the next time I was at the store.  Today I went to target just two browse, but decided I could get some of these snacks there. And I ddid, buying a package of the Chocolate Cupcakes and the Twinkies.  No orange cupcakes were in sight,and I have never cared much for many of the other Hostess snacks (although I have tried the Ho-Hos on occasion), so these were two I bought.  I had some for snacks this afternoon and may just have some for breakfast tomorrow.  Many people yesterday on Twitter were joking about stockpiling Twinkies, another thing that prompted me to buy some today.  I wouldn't necessarily call it stockpiling, though.

I just cannot imagine these snacks not existing anymore.  But I wanted to enjoy them for one the last, if not THE last, times, should they indeed no longer exist.  But I am one of these who prays that that will not be true.

No comments: