Wednesday, December 30, 2015

My Year in Reading

As you may have seen from my blog, I'm an avid reader, though I don't consider myself a book blogger.  I just completed my last two challenges I signed up for this year, and my last book of this year, All the Light We Cannot See, by Anthony Doerr.

All the Light We Cannot See


Even though the last day of the year is tomorrow, I plan to take a break from reading, since on New Year's Eve things can get hectic.  I know I need to get some stuff at the store tomorrow. And I'll be off to the celebration at a local bar.   And I've been signing up for challenges like crazy for next year.  Still waiting to see if some of the ones I did last year will be offered again:  Feminism, (this one is up now at this new blog), Plays (still no word on this one)Poetry,  Witches and Witchcraft (the sign ups for both of these are now up), and to see if there will be a Lucky 16. (the blog hosting this one said they will not be doing it this year). I decided not to do a TBR challenge next year even though I have a stack of books that need to be read.  I'm also foregoing any "finishing series" challenges and library challenges.  I check out so many books that a library challenge has gotten redundant for me and trying to do a TBR challenge tends to make me neglect my book stacks even more!  I just made my goal for this year.  I needed to cut down, so I chose only to do themed and format challenges (audiobooks, graphic novels/manga) as well as a few checklist ones.   I had stopped doing those based on page numbers, book sizes and "authors new to you" this past year.  And as you can see, I took the plunge into hosting a challenge for the first time. I got this idea around May this year  and did some Googling for examples for several months before I made my post official.

Of the challenges I did this soon-to-past-year, some unfortunately fell victim to blog deletion by midyear.  Some got picked up by other blogs, but some disappeared completely. (see here).

My Goodreads profile says I read 232 books, totaling to 62,123 pages.  My shortest book was  Mama Cat Has Three Kittens (20 pages) and my longest one was Outlander (850 pages).

Mama Cat Has Three Kittens
Outlander (Outlander, #1)
I already have my first reads planned for next year.  Looking forward to it all.


2 comments:

Adriana @ BooksOnHerMind said...

Oh wow! That's a lot of books. I got to read 134 (20 rereads) which was better than I did last year so I'm pretty happy about that. I also have my first reads planned out. Actually, my whole month is planned out. I went crazy checking out books this December and I have a good amount of books from Christmas. I hope you have another great year in books and personally. Good luck with all your challenges (:

shelleyrae @ book'd out said...

A great year! Congratulations

Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out