Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Gothic Fiction Reading Challenge 2016

Found this one just now.  I'd love to try this one. Go  here to sign up and see more details.
{Background image is from the New York Public Library.}














































































I’ve searched high and low for a Gothic reading challenge going on this year, but to no avail. So, I decided to throw one together for myself. As far as reading challenges go, I’m not sure how much interest there would be in a year-long Gothic one, but anyone is welcome to join me. Maybe next year I’ll make it official and post the challenge earlier. :-)
Basically, this is a way for me to track the books I read in this genre. I’m aiming to read at least twelve throughout the year. What is a Gothic novel? I found good explanations HERE and HERE. I usually consider a book Gothic based on the overall feeling it gives me. If it’s iffy, I’ll probably add it to the list anyway. ;-)
Here is what I'll be reading:
  1. White Cat--Holly Black
  2. Red Glove--Holly Black
  3. Black Heart--Holly Black
  4. The Pillars of the Earth--Ken Follett
  5. Thirst No. 1--Christopher Pike
  6. To Kill a Mockingbird--Harper Lee
  7. Corsets and Clockwork
  8. Six of Crows--Leigh Bardugo
  9. Etiquette & Espionage--Gail Carriger
  10. Curtsies & Conspiracies--Gail Carriger
  11. Waistcoats & Weaponry--Gail Carriger
  12. Manners & Mutiny--Gail Carriger
  13. Northanger Abbey--Jane Austen
  14. The Red House Mystery--A.A. Milne
  15. The Lake House-Kate Morton
  16. Villette--Charlotte Bronte
  17. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children--Ransom Riggs
  18. The Bell Jar--Sylvia Plath
  19. All the Lovely Bad Ones--Mary Downing Hahn
  20. Old Black Witch!--Wende and Harry Devlin
  21. The Gates--John Connolly
  22. Vampires in the Lemon Grove--Karen Russell
  23. The Ghost Bride--Yangsze Choo
  24. The Third Witch--Rebecca Reisert
  25. Eighth Grade Bites--Heather Brewer
  26. Ninth Grade Slays--Heather Brewer
  27. Tenth Grade Bleeds--Heather Brewer
  28. Eleventh Grade Burns--Heather Brewer
  29. Twelfth Grade Kills--Heather Brewer
  30. Anya's Ghost--Vera Brogsol
  31. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer--Michelle Hodkin
  32. It Takes a Witch--Heather Blake
  33. Thirst No. 2--Christopher Pike
  34. Lenobia's Vow--P.C. Cast
  35. An Uninvited Ghost--E.J. Copperman
  36. Blood and Chocolate--Annette Curtis Klause
  37. The Graveyard Book--Neil Gaiman
  38. The Chemist--Stephenie Meyer
  39. The Kill Order--James Dashner
  40. The Fever Code--James Dashner

Challenge completed on December 9

2 comments:

Stephanie Faris said...

Sounds like fun. I agree--if you can't find one, start one yourself!

Book of Secrets said...

Hi, there! Just FYI, I added a linky at the bottom of the challenge post on my blog if you want to link up your Gothic fiction reviews. Totally optional. Thanks again for signing up!