Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Banned Books Week

This being Banned Books Week, I decided to read The Catcher in the Rye, one of the most often banned challenged classics of all time.  I'm participating in the Banned Books Challenge, and this is a good one to put on the list. This also goes well  with the reading challenge I am hosting and doing this year.

I now find it strange I was never forced to read it in school, but then again my schools may have banned it. It was in the 80s that I was in school--could it have been banned then?

Cover features a crude drawing of a Carousel horse (pole visible entering the neck and exiting below on the chest) with a city skyline visible in the distance under the hindquarters. The cover is two-toned: everything below the horse is whitish while the horse and everything above it is a reddish orange. The title appears at the top in big dirty yellow letters against the reddish orange background. It is split into two lines after "Catcher". At the bottom in the whitish background are the words "a novel by J. D. Salinger".

2 comments:

Ericka @ A Quiet Girl's Musings... said...

You know, I haven't read this book either. Somehow I managed to go through public school and college and never read it. It's on my TBR. Not sure when I will ever read it, though.

Crystal Collier said...

That's another one I would like to read. One of the things I decided recently is that I have to get back to reading at least one classic every year. I kinda let it slip, then picked up Anne of Green Gables. There really is value in the classics.