Saturday, March 13, 2021

Store Shelves: Then and Now

 Remember this from a year ago? No doubt you all do.


It wasn't just toilet paper that was out. I remember being unable to find pasta. The lack of toilet paper in stores didn't hurt my house at all. I had gotten a 12-pack at Safeway the Saturday before the pandemic was declared. And at the end of March, a nurse friend arrived with some items including food and two packs of toilet paper. So there was enough for the time being. 

I recall being at Safeway the night of the 13th last year, seeing empty shelves for one of the first times, and seeing long lines. And it was Friday the 13th, which not too many people seemed to emphasize. I guess what it says below was true.


A client at the center who works for another grocery store in town pointed out that they were out of everything.  And a return trip to Safeway the following Monday was basically the same as three nights earlier. 

And then in November, toilet-paper hoarding began again. 

But now it seems easier to find TP, and just when I don't need to get any,I seems to notice how much is on the store shelves as I pass through the store. Needing to go to the store is a never-ending cycle, but there is no need to get TP every time. And pasta got easier to find as the months went on last year. I have no idea what that was so popular, though some say pasta is a comfort food.

2 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Toilet paper, pasta, flour and yeast were in short supply here. Such short supply that they were invisible. Mostly the hoarding has stopped but it starts again as our States reclose the borders. Which they have done repeatedly.

Kay said...

Life has really changed. No problem finding toilet paper, sanitizers, masks, etc. anymore.