Thursday, August 19, 2021

Back to School

Once again, I am glad I do not have to worry about kids returning to school and possibly having to go on Zoom again. I could not get into Zoom for my writers lab and still don't know what is happening with the group. Just the same, I liked these recent videos from the Holderness Family.


I was in school in the 1980s and cannot remember ever being given a school supplies list. I just remember getting a binder, paper, pens, pencils and erasers, along with other stuff that might be necessary for some classes, such as a calculator. I cannot fathom having to go through such a long list as those presented in the videos. Also, Dollar Tree was not around when I was in school, and there was no Target or Kmart in my town at the time either. My stuff came from either Rite Aid (then known as Payless) or from the local grocery store. And I was always sent a letter in the mail with my teacher and room Information before school began.

And on a side note, I like to look at the back-to-school sales for things like pens and notebooks, things I can use at home. Especially after they have been reduced to under a dollar at Target. I just got some binders at Dollar Tree for use at home. 



I still am uncertain on how to do math equations with multiple operations in parentheses, and now wonder how I ever did them in school. I could not even guess if put on the spot. Word problems in math were a nightmare for me. And some of the other questions slipped my mind as well. Most likely since I have not had to deal with stuff like this since I was in school myself.



Anther thing I cannot remember being so complicated back in my day. I only seem to remember having to fill out a card with basic contact information. Having to go through a scenario depicted in this video would have given me lots of anxiety. Things were so much easier in my day.

I also note how she mentions the Trapper Keeper in the first video. That's one thing I always had each year until junior high school. And they are still being made.  

Just more things that have changed a lot over the years by getting more complicated. 



2 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Sigh on your last sentence. Which is sadly true.

Sandra Cox said...

It seems like the kids had supply lists...if I'm remembering correctly.
I need about a gazillion math refresher courses.