Monday, March 18, 2024

Book Discussion: More on Book Buying

Yesterday afternoon, I took a trip to the nearest Barnes and Noble store (in Gilroy, California). I went in with no initial idea of anything to buy, but once I got inside, I remembered this book title and looked to see if I could find it. No luck. I had no other ideas in mind, so I just ket looking for something that might catch my interest. I ended up getting this book:


I was not familiar with this one. So what made me get it? I'm not sure, though I must have thought it sounded good, one thing I take into consideration when buying a book, whether new or used. It took a while before I discovered one. I began by browsing the many shelves with nothing in mind. Whenever I go to stores like this, I get lost while browsing and look at anything I might find interesting. But there is always so much to choose, and there have been many times when I needed up leaving empty-handed, if nothing interests me right then. 

Another thing I saw was a table display that said, "Buy One, Get One Half Off." I would have liked to have taken advantage of this offer, but not one item on this table caught my interest. This stuff happens.

How do you feel about browsing in bookstores, whether a chain or independent store, or a used bookstore? And how about used books in thrift store?  The larger the store, the more I find and can't decide. I still miss the used bookstore that was in Gilroy, and do not know of any other such stores near me. 


Posting to:


3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I like looking at the "latest releases" shelves to see what's new.

Sandra Cox said...

Unfortunately, I'm not in bookstores much these days. There's not a lot around here anymore. I get quite a few used books from Amazon. Hope you enjoy yours.

Aj @ Read All The Things! said...

I rarely go to physical bookstores because there are none around here, but I always love looking at the staff picks. I usually find something that I've never heard about before.