Monday, March 25, 2024

Medical Procedures

I've been hesitant to get some medical exams done, but have now gotten a little braver. I'm already past the recommended start age for some tests. I asked my doctor to schedule me for a mammogram and a colonoscopy. The mammogram was earlier this month and the results came back negative. I received a letter only four days after the exam. I was relieved with the results. This was my first one. 

The colonoscopy is scheduled for mid-April. The doctor called during the first week of March to schedule the appointment. This will also be the first such exam for me. Needing to find transportation for the appointment has been on my mind since it was first scheduled. I will not be able to drive myself. All the stuff in the letter I got about preparing for the exam has been making me anxious. A friend who is undergoing colon cancer treatment thinks I'm obsessing too much over the whole thing, but I just want to be ready, as it is all so new to me. And there is a lot to do, including not eating certain foods the days before the exam.

How many of you were nervous before having exams like these (and other medical exams) for the first time? I'm sure I'm not the only one to feel this way before such  things. 

7 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

It's perfectly normal to be nervous before having a new procudure for the first time. Glad your mammogram went well. I've had many colonoscopies and the hardest thing about them is the "cleanse" you must do the day before. Not that it's difficult, just annoying. The procedure itself is fine because they give you good drugs. You will have a restful and delightful sleep. But that's also why you need to have someone else drive you home!

Elephant's Child said...

You are definitely not alone. And have reminded me that I am overdue for my ritual boob squashing.

DrumMajor said...

Congrats on getting the mammogram done! It's important! Just let a tech know if you think they're smashing you too hard. Most ask, and they can always back it up a bit.

Follow the docs instructions to prepare for the colonoscopy. Look forward to it! With the short anesthesia they give you, it's like nice nap, especially if you've been working too hard.

Do a good job drinking the "clean out" solution and/or taking the pills. No orange, red, drinks or food, mostly liquid. You can flavor any prep with gatorade, just not the color ones; light green is ok.
Stay around the toilet cuz they want ALL of your colon (large intestine) empty of poo. They can get a much better and accurate pic of the inside of your colon if you do the bowel prep well. I've had patients who were supposed to do the bowel prep and didn't do it well, and the GI doc had back out and send them home to redo it and reschedule it!

You'll be awake enough to drive home, but DON'T. They want someone else, besides a taxi driver, to take you home because they will have sedated you a bit. Don't make important decisions or sign important papers that day!

My GI doc gives me photos at the procedure, showing which parts of the colon it is and where they may have taken off any polyps. Based on the result and your family history, the doc will decide how soon you come back for another one. My parents didn't have any, but both brothers did, (benign polyps) so I was on the every 3 year schedule for a while, now just every 5 years.

Just keeping reading the prep instructions so you do it correctly. Find magazines to read on the toilet. Buy lotsa toilet paper before the prep starts. You'll do fine. Have a nice nap! Linda in Kansas (old RN)

Kay said...

Oh gosh... I think I'm almost due for the colonoscopy. I do get the mammogram every year.

Sandra Cox said...

I was nervous too. Now it's old hat. The worst of the colonoscopy is the prep.
If you don't have anyone to bring you home, could you make arrangements with uber or a taxi?

My name is Erika. said...

I always get a bit worried before having to have exams, but I'd rather be on top of my health than get a surprise. Of course being on top of my health still means I can have a surprise. I hope the colonoscopy goes well, and I'm glad to read your mammogram came back ok. hugs-Erika

nursingstories.org said...

Good for you to take care of your health.