Friday, April 26, 2024

W: Walk Lively

 

#AtoZChallenge 2024 letter W





This series came out in the early 1970s. The dolls in this line came with a walk-and-turn stand. No batteries were needed. Only Barbie, Ken and  Steffie appeared in the line, but the Walk Lively feature was also used on Mattel's Miss America dolls

 
 



Barbie's friend Steffie may not be well-remembered, as she only appeared in three lines. But Walk Lively Steffie (shown above) is notable in that her closed-mouth head mold has been reused many times. Barbie herself has used the mold, as have many of her friends, including Christie, P.J., Teresa, and Midge, and the one-time Tracy Bride doll. Miss America and the African American Mrs. Heart also used the Steffie head, as did one of Jazzie's friends, Stacie. The 4.5-inch doll line Dazzle from the early 1980s used a scaled-down version of the Steffie head for some of its girl dolls (other girl dolls in that line used a scaled-down Superstar Barbie head mold). I had most of this line.

7 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

"Walk, walk, fashion baby"

Liz A. said...

Those are some very '70s looks.

My name is Erika. said...

You seemed to have had a great collection. More than me. :) I don't remember these, but then it was a little old for Barbie at this time. Happy start to your weekend. hugs-Erika

Sandra Cox said...

Another fun one. You've almost reached the end and have done a grand job.
Have a happy weekend.

Kay said...

Gosh.... I don't remember this at all.
I did just hear about a Kristi Yamaguchi Barbie. So much fun!

Jamie Ghione said...

Erika, I didn't have most of these. In fact, I ddi not have very many at all. This was just done from research. A lot of them came out when I decided I was too old for toys, some before I was even born. Others when I too little to even be interested. But it's still fun to learn and be fascinated by it all.

Ronel Janse van Vuuren said...

Debra's Lady Gaga comment seems quite apt :-)

Ronel visiting for W: My Languishing TBR: W
Leshi