Saturday, January 17, 2009

Mountain Dew knockoffs

In my last post, I said how I rarely drink Mountain Dew, now printing its name as Mtn Dew, something I just saw today. I was surprised when I learned that "mountain dew" is actually a euphemism for illegally distilled corn whisky or moonshine. There's even a song about that. Really, they were able to use this as soda name? Obviously so, and customers were apparently OK with the name.

Sadly, the genius who completed the page of Dr Pepper clones had no interest in doing the same for Mountain Dew. Too bad, since he would have plenty of Mtn. Dew clones for such a collection.

While searching for lists and pictures of Mountain Dew knockoffs, one thing I found was this blog on off-brand sodas, including both Dr Pepper and Mountain Dew clones. About the best list I could find of clones is this one. I also came across this blog.

Though I'm not a big drinker of Mountain Dew, I have on occasion had some of the stuff or one of the knockoffs. In my Dr Pepper clones post I mentioned the Kmart (American Fare) knockoff Citrus Mountain. I purchased both sodas a few times toward the end of 2001. Notice how the name Citrus Mountain makes reference not only to Mountain but also to the citrus flavoring of the sods it is cloning. Almost all Mountain Dew clones have "Mountain" in the name or some related word, such as alpine, followed by words referring to precipitation, such as mist or lightning.


Some names I'd like to comment on:
Mountain Lion: Sounds more like a beer name, IMHO. I've never seen this one, since it's from the Food Lion grocery store chain which only exists on the East Coast.
Sun Drop: This has actually been around since 1949 and another I've never been able to try since it's sold primarily in the South. Though it can be ordered over the Internet.
Citrus Drop: sold at Kroger, a Southern grocery chain. I have actually seen and bought this one at my local Quik Stop Market since Quik Stop is owned by Krogers. The name seems like a reference to the aforementioned Sun Drop. Citrus Drop's slogsn "Pop the Drop" is a likely reference to Mtn. Dew's former slogan, "Do the Dew."
Heee Haw (Hyvee) and Kountry Mist (Winn-Dixie): No surprise that these come from two other Southern grocery chains, Needless to say, I've never seen these either.
Spring Mist (IGA): The IGA exists in California, but taking a look at their store locator, the nearest ones were between 69 and 101 miles from my zip code. I seriously doubt Ill ever go out of my way just to find one of these stores.
Moon Mist (Shasta): I actually found some of this once, but was unaware it was a Mtn. Dew clone until I saw it contains caffeine. I have never seen ti for sale since.
Mountain Roar (Harris Teeter): yet another East-Coast grocery chain. Kind of, like Mountain Lion, sounds more like a beer name, IMHO.
Mountain Lightning (Walmart): This used to be called Green Lightning. Despite having a Walmart near me, I have never bought this soda.

This is another subject that I cold go on and on about, like my previous post. But this should give you the basic idea. I apologize that I could only find a few pictures of Mountain Dew ripoffs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

May I simply just say what a comfort to uncover an individual
who really knows what they're discussing on the net. You definitely know
how to bring a problem to light and make it important.
A lot more people must look at this and understand this side of the story.
I can't believe you are not more popular because you certainly possess the gift.

Anonymous said...

What's up it's me, I am also visiting this website regularly,
this web page is truly good and the users are really sharing
good thoughts.