The European Reading Challenge
January 1, 2016 to January 31, 2017
January 1, 2016 to January 31, 2017
THIS IS THE SIGN UP PAGE (SEE LINKY BELOW)
Welcome to the 2016 European Reading Challenge – where participants tour Europe through books. And have a chance to win a prize. Please join us for the Grand Tour!
WHAT COUNTS AS "EUROPE"?: For now, we will stick with the same list of 50 sovereign states that fall (at least partially) within the geographic territory of the continent of Europe and/or enjoy membership in international European organizations such as the Council of Europe. This list includes the obvious (the UK, France, Germany, Spain, and Italy), the really huge Russia, the tiny Vatican City, and the mixed bag of Baltic, Balkan, and former Soviet states.
NOTE: Technically, the United Kingdom is still one country that includes England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. So one book from any one of these four counts as your one book for that one country. I'm not going to be a stickler about it because challenges should be about fun not about rules. However, when it comes to winning the Jet Setter prize, only one book from one of the UK countries will count.
THE LIST: Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Macedonia, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, and Vatican City.
LEVELS OF PARTICIPATION
FIVE STAR (DELUXE ENTOURAGE): Read at least five books by different European authors or books set in different European countries.
FOUR STAR (HONEYMOONER): Read four qualifying books.
THREE STAR (BUSINESS TRAVELER): Read three qualifying books.
TWO STAR (ADVENTURER): Read two qualifying books.
ONE STAR (PENSIONE WEEKENDER): Read just one qualifying book.
JET SETTER PRIZE
The participant who reads and reviews the greatest number of qualifying books (more than five) will get a $25 gift card to Powell's Books (can be used in store or on line). Participants living in Europe will get a $25-equivalent gift card to the Amazon store in your country, if possible. If you live in a country where neither Powell's nor Amazon will work, then sorry, you are out of luck.
Each book must be by a different author and set in a different country. This means that only one book from one of the four UK countries will count. Only books reviewed count towards the prize.
- Read all books between January 1, 2016 and January 31, 2017. I like having 13 months so there is extra time to finish after the holidays. However, if you participated in the 2015 European Reading Challenge, you can only count books read in January 2016 for one year -- either the end of the 2015 challenge or the start of the 2016 challenge -- you don't get to count one book for both challenges.
- Sign up here using Mr. Linky under the "PARTICIPANTS" heading below.Please use a link to your challenge post, not your blog home page.
- If you do not have a blog, please leave a comment below with the level you are signing up for, and your list of books if you want to name them now, and I will add you to the list.
- You do not have to commit to your choices now; you can change your mind about books at any time.
- Overlap with other challenges is allowed -- and encouraged! Have ideas for good overlapping challenge opportunities? Please leave links in comments.
- Re-reads count. Audiobooks count. E-books count. Self-published books count.
- As you progress, please link to your reviews on the review list page. Reviews are not necessary, unless you are going for the prize, in which case only books reviewed count. If you do not have a blog, put your reviews or reports in a comment on this post. When you finish, please link to your wrap-up posts on the wrap-up page.
Here is what I am reading:
- Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow--Peter Hoeg (Denmark)
- History--Elsa Morante (Italy)
- War and Peace--Leo Tolstoy (Russia)
- The Metamorphosis--Franz Kafka (Germany)
- Jane Eyre--Charlotte Bronte (UK)
- The Odyssey--Homer (Greece)
- The Prophecy of the Stones--Flavia Bujor (France)
- Persepolis 2--Marjane Satrapi (Austria)
- Murder at the Savoy--Maj Sjowall (Sweden)
- Philomena--Martin Sixsmith (Ireland)
- Villette--Charlotte Bronte (Belgium)
Challenge completed on August 1
Welcome to the challenge! I'm glad you are joining us this year!
Congratulations on finishing!
I don't know if you linked this post (now that you are done) to the wrap up page (http://www.rosecityreader.com/2015/12/2016-european-reading-challenge-wrap-up.html). If you did, thank you and I apologize. I had a problem and lost all the links. Please visit the page again and re-link your post.
If you had not posted your link on the wrap up page, please do!
Post a Comment