Tuesday, April 18, 2023

O for...

#AtoZChallenge 2023 letter O


OUTSIDE:




Playing outside until dark, when the streetlights came one, was common in my childhood, though I've never been an outdoor person. Even in the daytime, I preferred to be indoors and am still that way today. I have hated camping and hiking. One thing I did not like about going to my aunt and uncle's house was almost always having to play outside. 

Nowadays, I try to get outside at least for a while to read and catch some air. I will lie down when it's warm. I'm not much for walking.


OVERALLS:

I had a few pairs of these as a child, mostly the long ones. Don't recollect any short ones or if had any jumpers. The one I saw typically looked like these:



They were still popular in the 1990s, thanks to Will Smith in The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.


Even though you can still buy overalls today, I haven't felt compelled to. It's been so long since I've ever worn any, and I rarely see others wearing them these days. Until recently, I did not know they were still a thing.


ORANGE DRINKS:


Fond memories of making orange juice this way. And lemonade and other juices. Add water to the frozen juice and mix in a pitcher. I would even drink out of the juice can, since most of them did not have sharp edges. The lemonade ones always seemed to have the sharp edge, though. 

There was also various varieties of orange soda, the most popular one being Orange Crush. I seem to recall drinking the orange flavor more than the grape or strawberry ones. Though I'm sure those tasted good, too ;)



And remember making Tang? 




OVERHEAD PROJECTORS:

Who remembers seeing one of these things used in class?


This was how teachers presented lessons way back when, before computer projection. 

And the reel-to-reel projectors on which we watched a film in class.



_________________________________________________

OVER for today. PLEASE come by again tomorrow.

6 comments:

John Holton said...

Strawberry Crush? That's a new one on me. I knew about orange and grape, though I only ever had the orange. There was another brand, Nehi, that had pretty much the same flavors. And yes, we still have Tang relatvely often, as a break from lemonade. "It's what the astronauts drink in space!" helped them sell a lot of it in the '60's.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Overhead projectors and film projectors were the HIGH high tech of my school days, LOL! And Ditto Machines for running off copies of things before xeroxes were invented. The lines and text were always in purple.

And yum! Nothing better than an Orange Crush ice cream float!

Sandra Cox said...

I miss my overalls:)

Liz A. said...

I had a babysitter who made us play outside. Hated it. I would have much rather been inside with a book. Oh, and I hated overalls. Not the right shape for me, so I would not wear them. I actually taught a class using an overhead projector as recently as the 00s. Computer projection is much nicer. You don't get the Vis-a-vis markers all over your hands.

Arlee Bird said...

When I was a kid overalls were considered for certain workmen or poor kids. I never even had blue jeans when I was a kid. In the eighties, when I was working on a touring show, I used a set of Oshkosh overalls in bright red as my working uniform for selling concessions and such. I embroidered some cute cartoon patches on them since we were a children's oriented show. They were really comfortable.

Lee

Mrs Fever said...

Once upon a time, overhead projectors were hi-tek!

I remember those frozen orange juice containers well, but not fondly. OJ is not my favorite think in the best circumstances, and squeezing frozen orange goo into a pitcher hardly counts as 'best'.