Saturday, April 29, 2023

Y for...

#AtoZChallenge 2023 letter Y


YES:

The group Yes, that is. When I first heard the song below, I began to like it, and when it replaced "Say, Say, Say" by Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson at the top of the charts, I got the tape with my birthday money. I seemed to be the only one at my school who liked the group, even though the album and song were big sellers.

I saw the group in 2002, and again in 2004. It was the classic lineup, pictured below in a concert photo from 1977. Sadly two members have passed and only one of the five remains with the band. It just wouldn't seem the same without them 😢


Around the same time, I learned about Yes, the band, I also learned about a laundry detergent that was called Yes.


  

YEARBOOKS:

I would glance at my mom's high school yearbooks as a little girl. I could not wait to have my own ones. Unfortunately, I forgot to ask to buy one in sixth grade. But I made sure to get one every year after, seventh grade through senior year of high school. Did anyone have yearbooks in college? None of the colleges I attended had them.

Here is the cover of my high school senior class yearbook:

I have not looked at my yearbooks in a long time. At our 30th reunion in 2019, one of our classmates brought all four of his yearbooks. While at the event, I quickly browsed through each of them.


YAHTZEE:

A game I loved playing when we had visitors. I was always in fear of not gaining enough points to make the full scores on both the top and bottom portions. The long straight was a hard one to roll. This was the very box at my house. 



_______________________________________________________

YAY! One day left! ZOOM on by tomorrow for the finale.


6 comments:

Charlotte (MotherOwl) said...

Thank you for this ride through the past. Even if I'm almost 10 yars older and from Denmark, amny of the toys and things are the same as the ones I remember. I have now read and enjoyed all your A-Z posts ;)

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I like playing Yahtzee every once in a while! And yes, yearbooks were big in high school, weren't they? I drew the cover art for our yearbook one year.

Anonymous said...

I love Yahtzee! Also Kismet, which is similar 😀 Paula Light

Elephant's Child said...

No yearbooks here but a definite YES to yahtzee. It was another game that we played for household chores...

Janet said...

Yahtzee is a fun game. One of the few I actually like. I have all but my freshman year yearbook. I didn't realize what a big deal yearbooks were.

Janet’s Smiles

Liz A. said...

Not a big fan of Yes, but I liked that song. So, we are exactly the same age. Not surprising. I'm also a 1989 grad. We did not have elementary yearbooks. I wasn't so keen on getting yearbooks, but my mother insisted, so I have them for 7th through 12th grades. I was so surprised when I started subbing at how many students don't buy them nowadays. Sad. (I did have yearbooks for college. I only got the one in my graduating year.)