Tuesday, April 25, 2023

U for...

#AtoZChallenge 2023 letter U



UNDEROOS:

When trying to find things for this letter, the first thing that came to my mind was Underoos, a brand of children's underwear. The ads touted it as "Underwear that fun to wear." A lot of popular superheroes, cartoon characters, movie and TV show characters were represented. 

I had at least one pair, not sure which character. One of my younger cousins wanted some for her birthday one year, and my mom could not find any. 

Would this be popular today? Can you imagine SpongeBob SquarePants Underoos? And notice that a lot of the Marvel Comics heroes are represented. That might get some kids interested if this were around today.



UNICORNS:

One thing I collected as child was unicorns. I had unicorn stickers and folders (including the one below in college). And I once had a unicorn purse. These seemed to be popular at one points and I just had to have one. I did not have the one pictured below, but mine was similar, in navy blue. 







URBAN COWBOY:

I did not see this film until around 2018, via Netflix. But I had heard much about when it came out. Some family friends who had a band would often sing the song below, which I learned, years later, is from the Urban Cowboy soundtrack:

 

Some of you may already know this song by Johnny Lee, also from the Urban Cowboy soundtrack.



THE US FESTIVAL:

In 1982, Steve Wozniak, founder of Apple Computers, helped organize this three-day music event, in San Bernardino, California. It was known as The US Festival. Despite being written in all capitals, the US was pronounced "us," like the pronoun. Wozniak believed that those of the 70s were the "Me Generation," and encouraged the 1980s to be more community-oriented and combine technology with rock music. The first US Festival was on Labor Day weekend 1982, with a second festival on Memorial Day weekend the following year. 


I did not attend this, just heard about it. The same friends mentioned above threw a music party that they called "The Me Festival," a play on the US Festival. It was about month after the second US Festival in 1983. I was reminded of all this a while back with a Facebook mention of the US Festival in a  group focused on the 70s and 80s. The friends said they thought US Festival "sounded sort of funny, so we had our own party and warped it to our sense of humor by calling it 'The Me Festival.'  Just a touch of silliness and sarcasm." 

______________________________________________________

UNTIL tomorrow, enjoy the VIEW.

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I love unicorns too but the only unicorn item I have is a small, blown glass "knight" chess piece which is a unicorn instead of a traditional horse's head.

Elephant's Child said...

I am pretty certain we didn't have underoos. I have a very big soft spot for unicorns.

Liz A. said...

Underoos made me sad. They came out just as I got too big to fit into them. That was true for a lot of things, I just missed the cut off. Whatever happened to unicorns? They were huge for a while there, and then they just faded away.