Sunday, November 5, 2023

Shots and Needles and Fasting

It was a more than a week ago, but upon reading She Who Seeks's entry today, I thought about something that happened at the end of October. 

She Who Seeks wrote about getting the COVID booster and the flu shot at the same time. This is how I always get the two shots. I got mine the Thursday before Halloween, by walking into Rite Aid. I wasn't sure about getting it that day, but knew I had to get it soon. I'd had a separate doctor's appointment earlier that same morning, and was given a blood draw order, one that required fasting ahead of the draw. I'd eaten breakfast that morning, so I had to get the draw another day. I had to work the following morning, so that ruled out that day (no appointment is needed for blood labs at our local hospital).

Upon driving home a fellow client at the center n Friday afternoon, the said client had to get a blood test done the following Sunday, and he called to see if the lab was open then. I said I'd drive him and then get my draw then as well. The Sunday lab hours were 8AM to 2PM, and since I was going to have to fast, I knew I had to go early.

The night before at the Halloween celebration at the local bar, I had gotten a Coke and then a free refill, but as the bartender was about to pour yet another refill, I asked just to have some water. It was around 10PM, so I decided it was time to start the fast. I quickly explained this to her.

When I got up the following morning, I had to keep reminding myself not to drink soda with caffeine or eat cereal. It had been long time since I'd had to fast like this and today I was starting to feel dizzy. I then picked up my friend and we headed to the hospital. Since it was early Sunday morning, the parking lot was mostly empty and no one else was waiting inside. Only one employee was currently on duty at the front entrance. And there was only one person currently on duty for the blood work. 

I was nervous while waiting, as the fasting was getting to me. I could not wait until it was over, so I could get something to eat. My friend was called back first, so it was a while before my turn. And he did not have to fast!

After it was over, I drove through McDonald's for some breakfast. I never get to eat breakfast at fast food places, so this was new to me. I was still little low blood sugar even after eating, so later on that morning, I got a snack at Safeway, along with some Coke. I needed some of that, too, since I was unable to have some earlier that morning. 

On a side note, I did feel a bit sore after the COVID booster and flu shots. And I'd arrived home from the bar at nearly midnight, and got up around five, so I did not get a lot of sleep. I was exhausted as well as dizzy from the fasting, and ended up resting for most of the reminder of that Sunday afternoon. And I have not heard anything from the doctor (fingers crossed).


3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yes, fasting for lab work is a real annoyance. Glad you enjoyed your fast food breakfast afterwards!

Kay said...

Oops! I think I'm supposed to go in for a blood test too... again.

I had a sore arm and was tired the next day after the COVID shot.

Liz A. said...

Blood work is annoying, but at least you did it early so you could eat sooner.