Friday, April 8, 2022

G: Gloria

 

#AtoZChallenge 2022 Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter



This is a lesser-known sequel/spinoff to All in the Family, a show with great number of spinoffs. Four years after she left the cast of AitF, Sally Struthers returned to the role of Gloria Stivic, now divorced from Mike, who was not seen on this show. Rob Reiner, by this time, was now beginning his new career as a director. Gloria premiered the same year that Archie Bunker's Place was ending its run. A backdoor pilot for Gloria appeared on Archie Bunker's Place, but no further crossovers appeared on either series. Some think that is why Gloria was unsuccessful. Naturally, Gloria aired after Archie Bunker on CBS's Sunday night lineup, but that didn't seem to help, as Gloria only lasted one season. It was the last All in the Family spinoff/sequel until 704 Hauser came along in 1994. That one also failed, barely lasting a month.


Gloria was now working as veterinary assistant for Dr. Willard Adams (Burgess Meredith), from whom she also rented a house. Jo de Winter was Dr. Adams's partner, Dr. Maggie Lawrence. Lou Richards was Clark Uhley, another vet assistant, and Christian Jacobs was the now-eight-year-old Joey Stivic, Gloria's son. 

Below is the opening theme and a clip from the show:






7 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Never knew of it - but the presence of Burgess Meredith alone would have had me watching it! YAM xx
G=Guru

Elephant's Child said...

You are showing up my ignorance.

ghostmmnc said...

I seem to remember watching a few of these episodes, and it was okay but not a favorite.

Liam said...

I actually remember watching this!

Dave Roller said...

Wow! I don't think I have thought of that show since I watched it in first run. But when you first mentioned it I remembered she was a veterinary assistant and that Burgess Meredith was her boss. https://dave-homeschooldad.blogspot.com/2022/04/h-is-for-hammer-hank-and-hairy.html

Dyanne @ I Want Backsies said...

I watched All In The Family but didn't care for Archie Bunker's Place or Gloria.

Janet said...

I don't remember this one although I watched All in the Family and vaguely remember Archie Bunker's Place. In 1982 and '83 I was dating my husband so maybe we were doing something other than watching tv. LOL. Visiting from the A to Z.
Janet’s Smiles