Thursday, April 28, 2022

X: Executive Suite

 

#AtoZChallenge 2022 Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter


 
Once again, I had to search for something I never saw as I was too little to have seen it. Since it was an hour-long show, I likely would not have been allowed to watch it, given my age at the time. Also, I had to cheat a little, since, as everyone knows, X is such a tricky letter. And no one's forgotten about The X-Files, right? Like the previously mentioned Quark, this show was mentioned recently after the passing of one of its cast members. Executive Suite was one of three short-lived series in the 1970s starring the late Mitchell Ryan (Dharma and Greg, Lethal Weapon). 

The series was on CBS in 1976-77, and was adapted from a 1954 movie of the same name that starred William Holden. It was an hour-long prime-time soap set at the Cardway Corporation in Los Angeles. Don Walling (Ryan) was the company president, and Howell Rutledge (Stephen Elliott) was the vice president and Walling's chief rival. The struggle between the two was the main plot. The remaining cast included family members of the two lead characters and other employees and board members of Cardway. It's a rather large cast, so click above to see the rest. The title makes it sound less like an hourlong drama and more like a work-place comedy.  

It was not surprising that I did not find any clips, but I did not find the opening theme either. The best I could find were these promos:


2 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
...an attempt to compete with Dallas, perhaps? Well done for finding something for the 'x' factor!!! YAM xx
X=Xanthic

Jamie Ghione said...

Dallas (though I never watched it) didn't come along until 1978. This was before then. Perhaps it was a sign of things to come.