Friday, April 29, 2022

Y: Your Big Break

 

#AtoZChallenge 2022 Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter



I have not bothered watching shows like American Idol and The Voice. But before those shows, there was this one that was syndicated from 1999 to 2001, which I watched quite regularly. This was also well after Star Search, which I recall watching sometimes, even if it wasn't my favorite. Your Big Break was on my local NBC affiliate on Saturday nights.

The show's gimmick was that the contestants were "Performing as" different music stars. Thus they are look-alikes and/or sound-alikes. Before performing, each contestant's life story was presented, ending with the host proclaiming, "This is your big break!" The first host was Christopher Reid (Kid of Kid n' Play) and the second  was Alfonso Ribeiro (formerly of Silver Spoons and The Fresh Prince of Bel Air). 

I selected a few sample clips below, to give readers the idea (those not already familiar with the show), from what I could find on Youtube:

1 comment:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
It seems there is an endless appetite for "talent" shows - or at least a few minutes aimed at fame! I never watch them, though I did give these clips a go to honour your efforts... now I wonder what's coming to round off the alphabet?!! YAM xx
Y=Yamini