Friday, April 1, 2022

A: Angie

And we're off! Day One of Blogging A to Z 2022. My theme this year is Forgotten TV Shows. For Day One:

#AtoZChallenge 2022 Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter


Angie 

Created by Garry Marshall, creator and producer of Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley, Angie was introduced in the winter of 1979 as a starring vehicle for Donna Pescow, John Travolta's co-star in Saturday Night Fever. It drew comparisons to Rhoda for its similar theme of two people of different backgrounds falling in love and getting married. It was, in a way, the Dharma and Greg of its day.

Angie Falco (Pescow) was a waitress at a coffee shop in Philadelphia, who fell for Brad Benson (Robert Hays, from the Airplane movies), a wealthy pediatrician. The two eloped, much to the chagrin of their very different respective families. Years before she played Raymond's mom, Doris Roberts was Angie's meddling mother Theresa, a newsstand operator. Debralee Scott was Angie's younger sister, Marie (Scott had previously played the younger sister on Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman). Brad had an older sister, Joyce (Sharon Spelman) who was divorced three times, and seeing a psychiatrist who hated her. Her daughter Hilary (Tammy Lauren) was only seen during the first half-season, as was DiDi (Diane Robin), Angie's friend and fellow waitress at the coffee shop. Brad later buys the coffee shop for Angie, but she and Theresa then close it down to open a hair salon.




The show's theme song, "Different Worlds" by Maureen McGovern, was one of a handful of TV show theme songs (along with those from The Greatest American Hero and Friendsto hit the Top 40. It was the singer's second and final Top 40 hit. The full version of the song can be heard here.

The show originally aired aired on Thursday, after Mork and Mindy, but its time slot was changed several times during the second season. Airing on Tuesdays between Happy Days and Three's Company didn't seem to help. Angie was rerun on ABC daytime in the summer of 1985, which is mostly when I remember watching it. I also seem to remember seeing a rerun or two on TV Land around 1997.

Some viewers may remember Donna Pescow from the syndicated sitcom Out of This World. Debralee Scott was later a frequent panelist on The Match Game. She sadly died in 2005 at the age of 52. RIP. Robert Hays subsequently starred in several mostly forgotten series, including a TV adaptation of Starman (1986), and the radio station comedy FM (1989-90). 


15 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
I can understand why the song was a hit... I had not heard of this show at all so it probably didn't make it across the pond. Mind you, I never understood why Robert Hays ever got work - acting talent of a rocking chair if you ask me! (I know others may differ...) YAM xx
Find my first letter - A=Arrival

Cathy Kennedy said...

Jamie,

I had forgotten this TV series. In fact, I don't recall having watched it much if any. Surely I did, though? Watching TV in the 70s and 80s was a lot of fun. That was the golden era in entertainment from big screen to TV screen!

Thanks for stopping by today! ;)

A Weeping Angel

Dyanne @ I Want Backsies said...

What a fun theme! I don't remember this show at all, which surprises me, because I know I watched Mork & Mindy. I expect to see quite a few of my favorite shows during your A to Z! I love the old shows I grew up on!

Elephant's Child said...

I know the song but not the program.

ghostmmnc said...

I don't remember this show at all. I was trying to remember why not, and looking at the starting date 1979 I know why. We were living in Japan at that time for a couple of years and didn't get many American shows there.
It looks like a fun show, and great actors too! :)

Arlee Bird said...

You caught my attention with the "Angie" title since my youngest daughter is named Angie. Well, actually she's Angelina but everyone calls her "Angie". For some reason she spells her name Ange. I never asked why.

I do not remember this show, but at that time I rarely watched television and when I did it was typically late night shows like "Johnny Carson".

I really like the idea of your theme. It will be interesting to see if there is anything I remember.

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out Battle of the Bands

Hannelore Adler (SteampunkCowCorn) said...

What a cool theme, I´ve never heard about this show, but I loved the music.

ladyleemanila said...

great post of Angie :)

nashvillecats2 said...

Great post for letter "A" I didn't watch the show here in the UK, but the music sounded GREAT.
Yvonne.

Tasha Duncan-Drake said...

I have never seen this one, or heard of it, I wonder if it made it to UK TV at all? I love Robert Hayes so I am sure I would have remembered if I had seen it - I have a big soft spot for the Starman TV show. Can't wait to see what other TV shows you talk about.
Tasha
Tasha's Thinkings: YouTube - What They Don't Tell You (and free fiction)

J-Dub said...

I remember this show, nice throwback. They sure don't make them like they used to

Lisa said...

I have no recollection of ever having heard of this show! I watched the others mentioned, and liked Rhoda a lot.

Computer Tutor said...

I'm subscribing--I need to see what I've missed the last decades!

Lisa said...

I remember watching Mork and Mindy but I don't remember this show! Visiting from April A to Z road trip.

Anne E.G. Nydam said...

Stopping by from the the A to Z Road Trip. I didn't watch much network TV in my youth (nothing but PBS for our family! lol), but I don't remember any of my friends talking about this one, either. It was fun to read about it.